Big Saginaw Steering box

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
As some here are aware I'm building a Monster D30 from soup to nuts.
Steering too, still looking into 1 ton tie rods and drag link.

Well, I have a BIG Saginaw steering box out of an old Caddy Coupe DeVille that I wheeled in my GPW for years, believe it or not, without a PS pump.
Just a short jumper hose from the pressure to the return.
It had originally been swapped into to my '67 Waggy With a pump and it had absolutely "effortless" steering.
Only reason it ended up in the GPW was my buddy threw away the old manual box I took out of the Waggy.
I have no idea if the U-joint/Rag joint or Pitman arms fit that old box, but it would sure be nice to have effortless steering with this build.
Also not sure if the pump would be up to it, though something tells me it won't have to work as hard with the bigger hydraulics.

Man your gonna have one heavy duty Jeep when its all said and done. hats off to you for doing all the work yourself!! Im patiently awaiting your trans swap project. Id sure like to put a 435 or 420 in my 91.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Go big or go home, right?
When I get done it will pretty much be a new vehicle (God knows I've spent enough on it).
As far as the trans is concerned, the 420 isn't A swap, it's THE swap and I'm very much looking forward to it to!
GM hit the nail on the head with that box, I absolutely fell in love with it in the flatty.
Really looking forward to a 94:1 crawl ratio.