95 checklist.

Justinweber51

I am new to this forum. I bought a 95 yj with a 4.0 a couple summers back just as a summer runner.

Runs great, outside a slight manifold leak, but I’d like to keep this around for a long time and use it to teach myself how to do some more technical things in the mean time.

I searched around the history of this forum and found a lot of great info, but I really would like to talk about suggestions as far as starting a restoration of my jeep.

Frame is solid. Like I said, motor is solid. What should I look for and start In on to make sure this thing lasts me?

Go through the brakes to make sure it will stop as best as possible, do a tune up, and change all fluids (don’t forget diffs and transfer case). Other than that, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Soon enough some obscure gremlin will pop up for you to fix.

I have a stock 4-cyl 94 YJ with 180k miles. Over the years, I have not done anything to my Jeep, no lift, no mods. Although you experts may strongly disagree, I think it runs great based on my VERY amateur mechanical knowledge. This is my first car I bought right after college, and want to keep it as long as I can. I live around DC area. I have never been off-road and don't plan to. I drive daily to/from the subway station about 10 miles. I like @redbullet's suggestion 'if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it'. It gives me peace of mind
Soon, I am going to replace the original shocks with Quadratec Hydro 7.0 shocks. Then, replace all fluids as suggested.

@Justinweber51, what are you working on your jeep?

Reactions: redbullet
Well @redbullet was right, something did pop up. I was in the process of researching updating some stuff and a couple things started to go wrong:

1. Engine getting hot when idling, but when you get moving it cools down. Did some research and could be in need of a thermostat, or a radiator fan clutch. Both or pretty cheap so just going do both.

2. Was doing a general service, crawled up my jeep, and the oil pan drain plug has stripped threads. Trying to extract it, no success yet. Could start to get pretty tricky. And I have no clue how it happened.

The oil pan drain plug sounds like it was over tightened by the previous owner. I once used a tap to re-thread an oil drain plug on a sport bike that I had over tightened and put in a larger drain plug bolt. That engine revved to 13,000 rpm and my fix held. I bet people have done it on a yj…do a bit of research and see what you come up with. Some people prefer a heli-coil