95 4.0 with 42re flexplate

Prepdout86

Hey everyone can’t wait to learn more about my Jeep. I recently picked up a 89 yj with no motor but everything else is still there trans included. My buddy gave me a 95 xj with a 4.0 and 42re trans. I just want the motor and will pull this weekend. I’m gonna convert it back to carb but was wondering will my tf999 and torque converter bolt up to the flex plate that's already attached to the 4.0 that had the 42re transmission?

Okay. Something's off.

A Cherokee as in XJ?
Those only had AW4 autos behind the 4.0.

A GRAND Cherokee (ZJ) came with the 42RE

You’re right that’s my mistake. Just learning everything now. Will my tf999 and torque converter bolt up to the aw4 flex plate and block?
The transmission should bolt up no issues. Not sure about the flex plate to torque converter.

My next question is this:
If you have the complete XJ vehicle, why not use the 4.0 and AW4 as is? EFI is so much nicer as far as startup and go in colder weather. If everything works, then just swap it into the YJ.

Found this on the Jeepforum concerning a 32RH(999) to AW4 swap:
"AW4 flex plate ( yes it is different than the 32RH flex-plate. the hold down bolts and spacer is reusable from the 32RH flex-plate.)"

Looks like you may need the proper flex plate for the transmission if you keep the 32RH.

The transmission should bolt up no issues. Not sure about the flex plate to torque converter.

If you have the complete XJ vehicle, why not use the 4.0 and AW4 as is? EFI is so much nicer as far as startup and go in colder weather. If everything works, then just swap it into the YJ.

Yes I have a complete xj. I wanted to try and stay away from all the computers and sensors that come with the fuel injection. I just wanna keep it as simple as possible. If It works and I need buy a flex plate that would mate the 2 then I will. Just need to find a flex plate then.

Found this on the Jeepforum concerning a 32RH(999) to AW4 swap:
"AW4 flex plate ( yes it is different than the 32RH flex-plate. the hold down bolts and spacer is reusable from the 32RH flex-plate.)"

Looks like you may need the proper flex plate for the transmission if you keep the 32RH.
I didn’t know the tf999 had different names. Might be easier to look up now. Thank you

I didn’t know the tf999 had different names. Might be easier to look up now. Thank you
Same with the 727 and 518s. Became the 36RH and 46RH. Just a name change to a code system.
Number of forward gears/Strength/Layout/Shift Control
999=3 forward gears, strength of 2 (made for lower power motors), (R)ear wheel drive layout, (H)ydraulic controlled.

Same with the 727 and 518s. Became the 36RH and 46RH. Just a name change to a code system.
999=3 forward gears, strength of 2 (made for lower power motors), (R)ear wheel drive layout, (H)ydraulic controlled.
So the tf999 and a999 transmissions are the same then?

Yes. The nomenclature is used interchangeably. a999 is the tf999 is the 32RH. Likewise, the a904 is the tf904 is the 30RH. The only differences in any torqueflight transmission is the bolt pattern for the different engines it mated to. Chrysler, AMC, and International used differing bolt patterns. There are also lockup and non lockup versions.

Basically, for your application, you will be making sure it is an AMC bolt pattern (both the 258 and the 4.0 are AMC motors, therefore both AMC patterns) and whether or not yours has a lockup to contend with.
FWIW, the input shaft is how you tell if it is lockup or non-lockup. Splines to end=non lockup Splines stop and last 5/8" of input is machined round=lockup
The lockup bit is critical for torque converter requirements should you need to buy one.