89 4.2 crank but no start

rynehbar

Thanks for having me here, just recently bought my 1989 Islander and drove it for about a week and a half and then it decided to not start anymore. The day that it started this i ran to 2 other places and all was well until i went to the grocery store and it started to rain, this is when it decided to no start. I received a jump and got it home. From there, I've changed the battery, both positive and negative cables for the battery, starter, I've adjusted the timing to about 12 deg BTDC, ensured i was getting gas to the carb, I've checked the voltage on the battery with it on and off, checked voltage at the starter during crank and it's sitting around 10.6v. I can jump it and it run fine and once the engine is warm i can crank it after a couple of long starts depending on how cool the motor is. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this issue? Forgot to mention, PO has installed an HEI dizzy.

Last edited:
check your alternator, check gap on plugs, and recheck timing after new dist. good luck, let us know how you come out.

Alternator is pushing out 14.4 when it’s running back to the battery, already have changed the plugs and gapped them to .040 which is what I’ve read is good for the HEI. But will do.

it does not seem that battery is holding 14.6 after turn off, if you use pumper cable to start? .040 on plugs seem to be a bit wide for me. i leave my at .035 and use champion plug. not saying i always right, but it works for me.

Reactions: rynehbar