87 wranger 4.2l

rat1662000

My ventilation elbow on my transfercase blewout/fell out, wont stay in now; it's wollowed out. Have trans fluid leaking out of it while driving. How best to fix this.

New here, so thank you for any support.

16160195750101891378446848611567.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if that is an available part but that is a press in part. (CHECK DEALER) the housing needless to say is probably still good. if you can get one use a tight fitting open end or box wrench place some silicone on the barbs and drive on the side of the wrench to reinstall the new part. That is about the best way I know to repair your issue or even a straight nipple may be easier to install using a proper sized socket of piece of small diameter pipe. You could thread it NPT but then have the metal chips to tend with BUT it has been done if you use grease not oil on the tap and clean and re-grease the tap multiple times. The chips will stick in the grease and can be removed as you go. I wouldn't attempt if you are comfortable with that option.

I might use Loctite 638 Retaining compound.
Good heat resistance, good oil resistance.
Depending on how wallowed out the hole is, maybe Loctite 660.
Other wise, clean all the surfaces and good old epoxy.
Might I add taking a swab and some brake clean to the hole and the end of the 90 before any epoxy of Locktite product use. Shoot I used JB weld on the inside of a motorcycle aluminum fuel tank to stop a corroded spot that was weeping and it worked fine.