4.0 engine replacement

mikejeft96

Hey all,
I have a 91YJ with 4.0 and the AX15. I need a new engine. I found one on FB marketplace for cheap but it is a 4.0 out of an XJ. will this be a problem for me or would it be a simple swap? Any pointers or old threads would be appreciated!

no year xj told.
not bought yet ,right?, if It was mine, my local machine shop can do the block and head. for less than any rebuilt or even some used engines with huge shipping chargers. my guess is down time is it.

the web and the web site is vast information on the 4.0 even back to 1988 my first one.(endless and vast free facts if you just google it)

lots of sensors can fail, and more, is the engine just long block.? or 100% all there,
injectors wrong, wrong sensors , wrong TB, wrong ALT, wrong well things that just bolt on can be wrong.
manifolds. all
and more.
we can not know what you bought, not possible blind.
also the newer 4.0 may not like having a distributor.
it was deleted later. 2006 last one
my last one was 1999, XJ
year 2000 is distributor less but has CMP sensor that fits in the old distrib. hole. right side.
the cam can be different and make NOX smog add make it fail smog tests, so if your engine has EGR , make sure you have all it takes to make that work
if smog tests are in the game.

read this first, see mount, boss'es words, do not fit

I put a newer engine in my 94. Just make sure it has distributor and not coil packs. I used my intake and manifolds. Had to change oil sending unit. Everything else was just bolt in. Might have to change water pump too.

I put a newer engine in my 94. Just make sure it has distributor and not coil packs. I used my intake and manifolds. Had to change oil sending unit. Everything else was just bolt in. Might have to change water pump too.
Thanks Mike! Any reason you need the oil sending unit? I thought it’s just one lead sensor?