WTB: 2.5 engine

DOWNS

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for a useable 2.5L in the DFW area if anyone has one or has a lead on one. People are wanting 500-800 dollars for engines that are just cores.

is your eng still serviceable, i have learned over time that it better to use what you have," OVER HAUL" you never know what your getting. just a suggestion. good luck

True. We may have jumped the gun on the FIND A NEW ENGINE NOW train. We were supposed to take my dad's Jeep on a trip later this week as well and all of a sudden it lost a cylinder. After some troubleshooting, I'm 75 percent sure we have a blown head gasket between #1 and the oil galley. We're going to take the head off tomorrow and see what we see. #1 cylinder is 30 psi, all the others are 140. And there's enough blowby to lift the oil fill cap when you take it off.

Last edited:
No joy cylinder one still at 30-40 psi. Tons of blowby. We're engine shopping. So if someone somewhat close to the DFW area has one let us know or what's the go to for remanned long blocks now?

For a 4.0 6 cyl I went with the local auto supply. The all come from LKQ in the metroplex, usually same or next day. You might try that if you’re in a hurry. I’m not sure about the availability of a 2.4 though or the $$. Good luck.

Seems to be the 2.5 is a tiny bit more than a 4.0 in the reman area. He found one from a 95 with about 89k miles on it a few hours from his house (he lives in Alabama. Jeep is with me in Texas). He's going to see about picking it up soon.