1995 YJ Stalling problem

aking019031

I have been having an issue with my '95 4.0 YJ stalling. I am 18 and this is my first car and I don't have the most experience with fixing cars. What is happening is at random times while driving; more often while driving more aggressively; the car will stall. I can't seem to find any other patterns as to when it stalls but I did notice that every time it stalls the car won't start if I leave the ignition on. In order for me to restart the car I have to turn off the ignition and let it sit for about a minute and then it starts with no problem. I have had a friend who knows a little about cars tell me to try the the throttle position sensor and the MAP sensor. I replaced both but the issue is still there. I was hoping somebody may have had a similar problem and might have a solution to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

it is not an ISSUE it is a very serious stalling PROBLEM./ (issues are in need of tissues)_😭
There are over 50 causes of stalls, even 1 loose EFI wire,. (i have the list but never do I publish it, as would be inane)
2 down , 48 to go?, are you so rich you can gue$$ 50 times.
later i will post free tests to do, no tools)
free test #1
so a fast right foot does not delay or prevent a stall (zero tools to do that and $ zero cost)
yes had this problem in vast cars, for 50+ years
top cause is (statistics) , not doing the tune jump , all filters, and cap/rotor,hv wire sets,and spark plugs new gaped to 0.035" set, not a guess this is 60k normal scheduled service, (points)

when the car stalls, check for spark./ (using the 100 year old now way, using new test spark plug)
in macro form there are 3 caused, (same answer for 100 years) bad engine, bad spark, bad fueling ,gee even bad fuel. we use tools + tests to find it.
all else is costly gue$$ing
btw, in that order.

watch our buddy Scotty<<<< click me and learn. assumes engine is good( 1 warning) the dribble test only finds dead pumps.(warning#2)

fixing cars lacking tools, is not easy, unless super lucky

check all EFI wiring for bad yet?, seen bad, rusty, loose, mangled, or damaged wires or pins??) as many say bad ground but gee, lots more than grounds
to make EFI work. lots and lots more.

EFI means the the whole Electronic fuel injection,system. (MPI in this case) 6 injectors too! inline 6 we all and I envy you.
even a bad fuse for damage

like this, just to show you how easy it is to fail. 30 year old cars fail in very odd ways, IT"S OLD, time and dirt + water and salt damage
FUSE damaged. (more than one , hint hint)
fuse-is-first.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot test 1.
keyon CEL lamp glow and goes out driving, and stays out. driving. check engine lamp
at the stall did any other thing in the car go dead. headlamps, or goes dim. radio, dash heater blower, goes dead? (Got A/C? did it go dead?)

our jeeps have a RELAY , ASD, (automatic shut down relay, or my name" no crash and burn relay")
it drops out all spark and fuel ends is 1 sec. flat.
lots of jeeps , the is that nasty O2 sensor short or its 2 heater wire belt and land against exh pipe, and shorts.
and 11-15 more causes(ask how)

but most simple of all, the ASD output overloads it goes off line. fast.

my jeep I can move the horn relay to the ASD relay spot (1 more free test) and see if the ASD was bad. (one removed)
free test #3 is unplug the 02 sensor and tie it back safe, and drive, cured?

yes some parts can fail ,only intermittently this is common and hard to find.
best way is to make it fail parked engine running,
some folks wiggle harness wires in the engine bay to find bad wiring, but stay away fan and its belt. (huge danger there)

The PCM will never report a bad fuel pump
the FSM book even tells all things the PCM can not detect, as car fails. <<<<< no better book exists, IMO , newer cars books are lame now.
PCM can not report vast kinds of pure engine mechanical errors.

that is all the tool-less tests I can recall now.
my guess is bad wiring.
if I must, there you go.