1995 Rio Grande (just inherited it)

thekevin

A month ago I traded in my lifted 2021 Rubicon to buy a new Pro4x Frontier and it would be the first time we had been Jeepless since 2020. The same day I traded it in my father in law passed away and we inherited his 95 YJ. It is completely stock with a 2.5 and AX-5 with the exception of an aftermarket radio. It has 157000 miles on it and has never been offroaded at all. The tags on it expired in 2019 and I know it has been at least that long since it was last driven. It has a small dent in the rear corner, a small rust spot starting under the drivers door and someone broke in to it 10 years ago and jacked the drivers door up. It seems to be a really solid starting point.

I put a new battery in it and got it started but the alternator was frozen up. I was able to get that freed up and it starts and idles fine out. The tires of course are trash so I picked up a set of JL takeoffs today for it and ordered adapters for those wheels, new lugnuts and some 1.25" lift boomerang shackles. I hope that the tires will clear with just that because this is just going to be a dirt road runner and a few forest service roads. I will be out of town this next week but when I get back I plan on getting the new stuff put on and getting it cleaned up. I will post pics as I get things done.

image_50450433.JPG

image_50457857.JPG

image_50732289.JPG

image_50433281.JPG

image_50461441.JPG

image_50398465.JPG

image_50444545.JPG

image_50742529.JPG

image_50449153.JPG

image_50447361.JPG

image_50457089.JPG

image_50449409.JPG

image_50440705.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Condolences on the passing of your father in-law. The YJ will shine up nicely and will make his heart smile that the jeep will get back on the road. I have been thinking about a 2 inch receiver hitch for my jeep but wanted to keep the bumperettes and your photo is the best one I've seen of the installation I'm looking to accomplish. I look forward to seeing this diamond shine again.

Reactions: ACKyj
Condolences on the passing of your father in-law. The YJ will shine up nicely and will make his heart smile that the jeep will get back on the road. I have been thinking about a 2 inch receiver hitch for my jeep but wanted to keep the bumperettes and your photo is the best one I've seen of the installation I'm looking to accomplish. I look forward to seeing this diamond shine again.

The Curt hitch allows you to keep the bumperettes and gives you a 2 inch receiver. I have it on my Islander. Bought it at Uhaul too - was even cheaper through them.