1991 wrangler 2.5 dies going down hill when not on throttle

Brandon.otey1986

I just bought this jeep and it’s my first time working on a jeep. I knew it had this issue when I bought it. The guy before me replaced the distributor and wires and plugs. I’ve replaced almost all the sensors on the engine and the crank position sensor. It also has a new fuel pump and filter. I’ve cleaned the throttle body. The exhaust has a leak and is missing the cat. Going down the road it don’t like to go over 3000 rpm. Could it be a timing issue? When it does die it needs to set a few minutes before it will start back

Geez I should remember this clearly because I replaced the dist in my 91/2.5 last year when the bushings started screaming. IIRC once the dist is set in place CORRECTLY, the computer sets the timing where it needs to be. If it was set a tooth off from my screw up it will not compensate an run poorly and be extremely hard to start, been there, done that and frankly was shocked I missed the mark cause im OCD about things. How does it idle once started and sitting there? Did you replace the throttle position sensor and/or the IAC? does it miss, vacuum leaks and the like? The missing cat and exhaust leak wont have any influence on whats going on. The cat fell off mine and had a massive ex leak some time ago, but it ran fine until it was fixed. based off what your getting it sounds like the dist is a tooth off.

Geez I should remember this clearly because I replaced the dist in my 91/2.5 last year when the bushings started screaming. IIRC once the dist is set in place CORRECTLY, the computer sets the timing where it needs to be. If it was set a tooth off from my screw up it will not compensate an run poorly and be extremely hard to start, been there, done that and frankly was shocked I missed the mark cause im OCD about things. How does it idle once started and sitting there? Did you replace the throttle position sensor and/or the IAC? does it miss, vacuum leaks and the like? The missing cat and exhaust leak wont have any influence on whats going on. The cat fell off mine and had a massive ex leak some time ago, but it ran fine until it was fixed. based off what your getting it sounds like the dist is a tooth off.
Most of the time it starts good and idles pretty good. But when it dies it’s hard to start back with out Leto g it set a few minutes.

I think I got my jeep fixed today installed a different ecm and it seamed to sound better when it started and it ran down the road great. Thanks for all of your info