YJ cranks but no start

rudymags

My '95, 2.5L, has developed the crank, crank,carnk but no start issue. Happened when I would drive it for a while, then after turning off, I could not get it to start. This staRted about 6 months ago. At that time, I would wait til it cooled the engine & thermostat read 100 or less. Then it would start. This week, however it just does not start at all.
I checked gas pressure: 42#, replaced CPS (twice), replaced IAT sensor, replaced coolant temp. sensor, replaced CO2 sensor, replaced fuel filter, replaced air valve.
It has spark, the CEL & Brake light come on when I turn the key
I hear a 'click' from under the hood when I turn the key. ECM?
Cleaned throttle body & replaced sensor there.
Today I took off the distributor, looked good. Replaced this unit, wires, & plugs when I got the jeep.
On the distributor, today, when I pulled off the cap lid, cleaned it, & the base it seemed to have some oily film on it.
It did start for me after that.
I let it run for some time until it read 190 or so on temp gauge. I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and no start. Now, it's no start at all. Cranks; No Start.
I am mystified. Can you all offer some tips as to what I can do next? HELP!

When mine clicked but that was it - it was my starter solenoid. I replaced that and it started. Mine has an old CJ engine so the solenoid was on the firewall. Yours will be on the starter itself. Check your battery for charge too. If it sits too long it can drop low enough that it won't be dead but not enough to fire up the engine. Ive had a weird issue myself lately where I drive it and listen to the radio and then it won't start for a bit unless I let it sit. Im thinking mine could be an alternator issue bc the radio is modern bluetooth etc. installed by previous owner

Reactions: redbullet
When mine clicked but that was it - it was my starter solenoid. I replaced that and it started. Mine has an old CJ engine so the solenoid was on the firewall. Yours will be on the starter itself. Check your battery for charge too. If it sits too long it can drop low enough that it won't be dead but not enough to fire up the engine. Ive had a weird issue myself lately where I drive it and listen to the radio and then it won't start for a bit unless I let it sit. Im thinking mine could be an alternator issue bc the radio is modern bluetooth etc. installed by previous owner
I think you're misreading his post. It cranks but no start. The click he heard when turning the key to "on" is most likely the ASD relay closing the contacts in the PDC.

I got that ‘crank, no start’ issue solved. It was my camshaft sensoe ( pick up sensor) on my distributor. Starts great now! Thanks! I’ve pisted my CEL issue for solutions on that.

I am attaching video on my CEL while driving.
Can someone tell me which code is valid? Seems I am getting the flashing CEL but not sure if which code is final one.

Check your dome light fuse #5.....It controls the following.....ECM, Fuel Pump, Main Shut down relay and something else really important......
It took me three months and alot of wasted effort to find that one.......Don't take my word for it.............

F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FO9NlRRiOVLY%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: DOWNS
My CEL that was coming on while driving seems to have gone away a couple of days ago. Today I put in a new TPS & the CEL that was coming on while driving did not come on at all. The new TPS may have solved my issue. If the CEL does come back, I'll let this Forum know. Thanks!