Wipers only go about half way across my view out windshield

Misfityj93

So my wipers only go about half way across my view out the windshield... is this normal? Can I do something to upgrade

Last edited:
Maybe you could take a short video on your phone and upload it here, that way we can tell you for sure if it's normal or not. (y)

Can we see some pics from in front of the Jeep looking at the windshield with the wipers in the off position?

Some folks move them, with the thinking they are meant to be positioned (parked) on the lower portion of the windshield, out of the drivers and passengers view when off. Which is incorrect.

Hi, newb here. I just picked up a 92’ YJ and experienced the same. Not only do they start at the 2 o’clock, but only go to the 10 o’clock position. This leaves a very small section to peer out through the rain, mud n snow. I hope there’s in upgrade out there. I will post if I find it!

So my wipers only go about half way across my view out the windshield... is this normal? Can I do something to upgrade
They definitely make a windshield wiper upgrade for the YJ! I’ll try to look and see if I can find information about it but I just found it online about a month ago you basically replace the motor in the windshield wiper blades but then they lay 100% flat!!!

They definitely make a windshield wiper upgrade for the YJ! I’ll try to look and see if I can find information about it but I just found it online about a month ago you basically replace the motor in the windshield wiper blades but then they lay 100% flat!!!
I did that kit. It sucks. Went back to stock. The install consists of replacing the arm on the motor (not the motor itself) and then replacing the wipers and wiper arms with the ones in the kit. It's a pretty easy install.

There are several issues. One is that the stock wiper motor is not super consistent at stopping at the perfect spot every time. So, even though it stops with them in the flat position, sometimes it actually stops a bit above. That is arguably worse to look at than the stock setup out in the middle of the windshield. When they're supposed to lay flat but stay just barely up above flat, it looks plain wrong. At least when they're out in the middle of the windshield, you can't really tell if they stopped too high or two low. When they are supposed to be flat and aren't, it's very obvious.

Next, they use special shortened wiper arms for the passenger side. You can only buy them at Riptech because they are a custom part. The springs on mine wore out and the blades chattered like crazy within a year. Only being able to source arms from one seller and them being prone to chattering doesn't feel sustainable.

When they wipe, they also leave a small triangle of unwiped area out in the middle of the windshield. Pretty annoying to look at.

Not trying to put a damper on the excitement here but I would say just get used to the stock wiper setup and learn to appreciate the YJ for yet another unique trait it has. The Riptech/Wipeboy kit is a cool idea in theory but it really doesn't work that well and limiting your options for replacement parts isn't a good idea either.

Hi, newb here. I just picked up a 92’ YJ and experienced the same. Not only do they start at the 2 o’clock, but only go to the 10 o’clock position. This leaves a very small section to peer out through the rain, mud n snow. I hope there’s in upgrade out there. I will post if I find it!
I mean, 10 to 2 sounds about right...much further than 10 and you're off the driver's side of the windshield. Much further than 2 and the passenger side will be parking off the windshield. There are "upgrade" kits but as I said previously, they aren't that great. I have never had any issue with the area of the windshield the stock wipers do wipe. It always gave me good enough visibility, and the upgrade kit was honestly worse visibility than stock.

If you think something is wrong with yours, post up a video and we can evaluate if yours needs some sort of repair or if it's normal and just something to get used to.

To use my 92 YJ as a reference it looks like the sweep is maybe 120 degrees. Mine look to be a little low in the parked position and run off the edge of the glass. Not sure if its adjustable or the wrong size blades so I'll look into it.

Wipers on the windshield and square headlights are there by design

4.png

To use my 92 YJ as a reference it looks like the sweep is maybe 120 degrees. Mine look to be a little low in the parked position and run off the edge of the glass. Not sure if its adjustable or the wrong size blades so I'll look into it.

View attachment 117079
Yours could stand to be rotated a bit. It's a simple process, just pull the arms off of the nubs. The nubs are splined, so you just rotate a spline or two, reinstall. Test sweep, see if you like it, etc.

Reactions: Flyer58

View attachment 117079
Also, I believe the stock wiper blade length is 11", but people frequently use 12" instead, and I think some even use 13" with no issue. You could certainly measure yours and compare how you think the different sizes would work on yours. The only thing with a 13 would be that of course if you rotate the arms too much, then the driver side may start to get too close to the edge of the windshield. But all that can be tested pretty easily just by playing around with it.

Yours could stand to be rotated a bit. It's a simple process, just pull the arms off of the nubs. The nubs are splined, so you just rotate a spline or two, reinstall. Test sweep, see if you like it, etc.
Doh! LOL I need more coffee and was thinking a more complex adjustment. I didn't think about simply popping off the arms. :)

Reactions: machoheadgames
In the summer I set my arms down fairly low and out of the way at rest. They don't do as good a job, but with the bikini top on I don't drive it in the rain much. lol For winter and using them often in rain/snow, I moved them back up a bit for more coverage.