Who makes the best soft top for my ‘93 YJ?

I'm not the original owner of my 92 YJ but I do have quite a bit of the original paperwork including the window sticker.

It shows my Jeep was delivered with a Bestop soft top. Most owners seem to like that brand. Do you have a hard top, full doors, or half doors? The YJ came with rounded top door window corners for the hard top/ full doors or pointed window corners for the half doors. You'll need to get the one that fits your doors.

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Mine has some after market half weather covers. No doors. I’ll be looking for a set of doors soon.

4771B5F6-577B-4FF2-937C-54FC12674B27.jpeg

Took the YJ in for some other work to my local 4X$ shop and he said the Rough Country was cheaper and just as good as Bestop. Comments?

I've seen those but the first picture is for the full steel doors with the rounded top corner not half doors. I wonder if they also sell half door uppers and tops as seen in the second pic. Also be aware many of these do not include the metal frame.

I did see one somewhere which stretched over the family roll bar and didn't need the frame.

Frames on eBay = $500+

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiplash2130
Took the YJ in for some other work to my local 4X$ shop and he said the Rough Country was cheaper and just as good as Bestop. Comments?
It’s a sale pitch. He is likely a Rough Country dealer. So naturally, RC products are the first products he is going to push.

If it was true, and Rough Country was just as good quality as Bestop, but cheaper, why does Jeep still exclusively use Bestop on OEM tops?

No other too company can easily compare to Bestop. Google it. You will see lots of other folks who share the same opinion when it comes to Bestop.

I’m not disagreeing. I asked to have all the other work completed before I decide what to do. I still need a set of doors before I decide on which top to get.

I bought a used Besttop soft top kit from somebody on Facebook. It included hardware the full softtop, half door uppers, and a sun bikini, plus hardware all for $150. The hardware was not the OEM style though and it did not include the door surrounds nor is it part of this hardware style package. It looked like the TJ style, but it was for CJ and YJ. I was hoping to buy the OEM style hardware, but do not want to dish out 500 dollars for the Bestop brand. Would any of you know if the soft top from Bestop can be used on any other OEM style brand like Crown, Rugged Ridge, or Rampage?

First, image is what I have, second image is what I am looking for.

yj-supertop-hardware.jpg

71IcDq4cRRL._AC_SX355_.jpg