When to replace certain parts?

Zeltplatz

i have a 1994 YJ 185K miles. I have replaced certain parts so i dont have a failure on my long 3-6 rides into the mountains. I have replaced the Gas Pump recently. wondering about the oil and water pump seem like cheap parts and at this mileage wondering if it would be smart.. if anyone has any recommendations on more preventive parts replacement would love to hear from you!

At 185k miles and 26 years old, you should undoubtedly be replacing the entire cooling system (water pump, radiator, hoses) assuming you have no record of when it was done last. Cooling systems are one of the first things to fail, especially with age and come hotter summer temperatures.

In addition, oxygen sensors should be replaced around every 80k miles as part of a general maintenance routine, as should stark plugs, distributor caps, and rotors.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
For a rig that age, if you're going to do the water pump you'll be almost halfway to the timing chain. It's a bigger job, but I'd do it. Not only is it good insurance against the old chain breaking and stranding you, but the wear on a timing chain degrades your engine's performance by sending the valvetrain slightly out of time. I've seen a new timing chain just breathe new life into a tired old engine.

Check your motor and transmission mounts. The rubber breaks and rots away, and then your drivetrain wastes energy flopping around which could be pushing you down the road.

If the engine's a 4.0, check that the exhaust manifold isn't cracked. The stock units had that problem a lot.

No one thinks about the PCV valve on these rigs. New ones are a little hard to find for some reason, but I'd replace it when you do the ignition tune up. Check all the vacuum lines for rot while your at it. The molded rubber ends on the plastic lines can look fine, but when you squeeze them you can tell they're weak. They like to rot out or develop cracks on the underside where you can't see them.

A few things to watch for on the fuel injection system...

The electrical connectors at the fuel injectors get worn, and then the injectors start missing intermittently. It has to get pretty constant before it triggers a trouble code in the computer. I had one on my 4.0 that was missing maybe one in 7-10 hits. That was enough to make the rig run a little off, but not enough to trigger a code. I've heard that you can pop the connector off and bend the contacts to make them engage better. I just replaced that connector altogether, and planned to do the rest. You can diagnose this problem with a mechanic's stethoscope. Put the probe on the injector and you can hear them ticking as they fire.

There's an air temperature sensor on the intake manifold. Jeep cheaped out on this part; it's just a bare thermister hanging down in the airstream in a little plastic cage. They can degrade in that hostile environment and cause vague drivability issues that are hard to trace. I pulled my old one out and it looked terrible; dirty and discolored. Put a new one in and the rig ran noticeably better.

The crank position sensor is notorious on these engines. When they fail the rig just quits cold and you're stranded. If I was making long trips in my yj, I'd carry a spare and the tools to replace it.