What top?

kjmagsig

Not sure if anyone can help with this one. I have a hard top on my 94 YJ. I am pretty sure it's not original as the plug on the wiring harness on the jeep is a different shape/size than the receptacle on the top, and I have a switch for both rear defogger and rear wiper on the dash but the top only has a rear defogger, no wiper. So, my question is, is there any way to tell what year Jeep my top may have come from? I ask because I need to replace the struts that hold up the rear hatch. I don't like using support rods. As clumsy as I am, I tend to knock them down when I'm lumbering around outside the cargo area and I hate it when a lift gate crashes down on my noggin. My skull is pretty thick, but it still hurts a bit. Had an old Grand Cherokee with this problem. Replaced the struts and within a year the rest of the jeep went to hell in a handbasket, but that's another story. Any way of knowing what year my top is? As always, Thanks for your time and wisdom with this.

IIRC a TJ top wont fit without mods. That being said then the YJ hardtop struts are the same 87 to 95. Id think you should be able to look them up and match them per length if you still have the ones off your top. Pretty much every auto parts store carries them it seems.