What is this sensor on my 89 Wrangler YJ 2.5?

Smiling_JIm

This sensor, on my 89 YJ 2.5L, is on the Firewall below the battery, and near the Vacuum Canister. The PO pulled the Hose, and cut the Sensor Wire. It has a Ground Lead going to the Firewall. Could not find it in my Jeep YH FSM.

Thanks in Advance for Info!

89 YJ Vac Sensor on Firewall - 12-25-22.jpg

How many vacuum line connections are there? I only see the one. If it's not part of the 89 pollution control junk then it might be some after market add on. It's not on the later models.

Ya, it has only the 1 Vac Port on the front, and 1 signal wire out the bottom. It has to be some sort of 'Condition Switch'. Such as Ya, We Have Vacuum'! So I'm thinking it's an OK to Run Signal to the ECU...

Reactions: Flyer58
Could it be part of the locking mechanism for the four wheel drive? Possibly sending power to the 4wd indicator light?

Thanks Guys! I had Jeep Doctor install a front 4x4 Cable, to get rid of the Vac System. So, that explains it. They cut it, since it was not needed.

On my 87 it is the sensor the turns on the 4x4 dash light indicating 4x4 engaged. Passenger side of engine on firewall below battery. Mine is disconnected as my front differential is engaged all the time. The hose goes to the actuator on the right side of the front differential. Does you dash light show 4x4 when you engage the 4WD? if it does then this is a different sensor and you can disregard this entire comment.