What are these steering column nubs?

tuhtuhtuhtyler

Trying to install this flat dash (pic 1) but the cutout is juuuuust too small with these little nubs on the steering column (pics 2-5).
the hell are these things, every other steering column I see doesn't have them. Are they brackets for a crimp?
I wonder if I can just grind them down? Anyone seen these things?
IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG

What's the history on the column? Somebody may have added those nut plate brackets as part of an aftermarket steering column lock...the housing should have nothing on it between the PRNDL indicator and the steering wheel either on top or bottom...

Reactions: tuhtuhtuhtyler
What's the history on the column? Somebody may have added those nut plate brackets as part of an aftermarket steering column lock...the housing should have nothing on it between the PRNDL indicator and the steering wheel either on top or bottom...
I'll post a video tonight when I get home, it looks very stock minus those plate brackets. And thanks for the interest.

Is that outer metal(?) cover usually there? (embarrassed that I don't know what my own YJ column looks like either. When I saw that pic it looked like some up-armored steering column anti theft device.

<drift> Actually what it first reminded me of was a truck I bought once that someone had tried to steal and cracked open the column. I decided the vehicle wasn't worth the cost/effort to replace the column, so I made kydex cover to close it up and at least make it look at a glance like it wasn't stolen.

83_photo.jpg

</drift>

Is that outer metal(?) cover usually there? (embarrassed that I don't know what my own YJ column looks like either. When I saw that pic it looked like some up-armored steering column anti theft device.

<drift> Actually what it first reminded me of was a truck I bought once that someone had tried to steal and cracked open the column. I decided the vehicle wasn't worth the cost/effort to replace the column, so I made kydex cover to close it up and at least make it look at a glance like it wasn't stolen.

View attachment 117204

</drift>
Damn, Kydex is a perfect idea for any patching I might have to do on the vinyl in the future. Great idea, thanks for the tip!

Great video! That is an after market column security sleeve that's inserted over the factory upper column housing designed to cover the turn signal housing and ignition lock to prevent 'hot wiring'...I'm wondering if what's underneath is damaged...have you tried to slide it off the column?

Here's a shot of one installed on a Buick Grand National:

1613792221596.png

I'm of the impression that if you cut the flanges off the whole thing will separate from the column...

Oh man, I would not have even understood that was an aftermarket addition. thanks so much. I would like to keep it, maybe I can salvage it after I remove it.
You're a master

Those "nubs" in your photo look they might have roll pins in them, but in blind holes so you can't drive them through. Hmmm... I originally wrote "see if you can knock them out", but if they are roll pins, it won't be that simple.

I'm thinking the two halves meet, the "nub" cover goes over, then the pins are driven in the blind hole to keep it together. (further googl'n shows this correct)
If you don't care about it, you could grid or drill the off side away, then drive them all the way through. If you want to try and save it, you'd need to come up with a way to pull them out. Time to search youtube! lol

<re-drift> More cracked column kydex repair. "Outside the box" is often what keeps old clunkers going.

84_photo.jpg

86_photo.jpg

Last edited:
No worries Brother...might be nice to keep if your goal is to rehab your YJ...I'm digging into to it see if I can find installation instructions so that you don't destroy it upon removal...

Installation lost from a GBody forum...still researching the factory instructions...