What are some thoughts on the Rough Country ball Joints?

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
What are some thoughts on the Rough Country Ball Joints? If bad what would you recommend?

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
Thank you, I ended up going to NAPA and supporting them. They have always treated me well.
I like NAPA but whatever you do, I’d avoid any knurled body ball joints. Pretty much all aftermarket ball joints seem to be knurled and they end up ruining the holes in the axle inner C’s. Hence the Spicer rec.

Reactions: T-Rex Jeepster
OP
Thrasher4219

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
I like NAPA but whatever you do, I’d avoid any knurled body ball joints. Pretty much all aftermarket ball joints seem to be knurled and they end up ruining the holes in the axle inner C’s. Hence the Spicer rec.
OOF I'll definitely look at that. I also ordered my track bar through napa. Also while I've got you on here. Would you recommend the Moog tie rod ends? I'm doing them all. I've found all of them except the drag link to the tie rod. I've also done new Bilstein 4600 stock height shocks, and Omix ADA leaf springs. I think the omix springs might have been a mistake, but they have already shipped.

Thank you so much for your help.

OP
Thrasher4219

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
OOF I'll definitely look at that. I also ordered my track bar through napa. Also while I've got you on here. Would you recommend the Moog tie rod ends? I'm doing them all. I've found all of them except the drag link to the tie rod. I've also done new Bilstein 4600 stock height shocks, and Omix ADA leaf springs. I think the omix springs might have been a mistake, but they have already shipped.

Thank you so much for your help.
Haha I think I might have just found it... the right inner correct?

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
Haha I think I might have just found it... the right inner correct?
Yeah, right inner would be the one you're looking for. I bought Moog tie rod ends for my YJ but have not installed yet. They seem beefy, time will tell on the parts quality. The Napa line of products seems pretty good for tie rod ends as well. Only reason I didn't go with them is at the time of purchase, some of their stuff was out of stock. So I went with Moog and at first glance, look good. Ball joints I stick to Spicer for sure.

For the Omix springs, the only thing I can say about them is I have no experience with them but they are not stock height. they sit about 1.5-2" despite advertising as stock height. That's not necessarily a problem though. The Bilsteins should be fine. I went with all Old Man Emu suspension products when I did mine the last time. By far the best riding YJ suspension I've ever seen and I've tried stock, RC, and BDS.

Reactions: T-Rex Jeepster
OP
Thrasher4219

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
Su
Yeah, right inner would be the one you're looking for. I bought Moog tie rod ends for my YJ but have not installed yet. They seem beefy, time will tell on the parts quality. The Napa line of products seems pretty good for tie rod ends as well. Only reason I didn't go with them is at the time of purchase, some of their stuff was out of stock. So I went with Moog and at first glance, look good. Ball joints I stick to Spicer for sure.

For the Omix springs, the only thing I can say about them is I have no experience with them but they are not stock height. they sit about 1.5-2" despite advertising as stock height. That's not necessarily a problem though. The Bilsteins should be fine. I went with all Old Man Emu suspension products when I did mine the last time. By far the best riding YJ suspension I've ever seen and I've tried stock, RC, and BDS.

Sure enough, the ball joints were knurled, so I ended up going with the two of the Spicer kits 706944x. I also went with all new Moog steering parts. Thanks again for all the help and info! I'll definitely post a full P/N list and tips after installation for anyone else looking to fix up a 2.5 Jeep's steering and suspension.

Reactions: machoheadgames

T-Rex Jeepster

The Unoffendable
Supporting Member

Good to know...I looked at Old Man but didn't have any reference to compare to. Went with RC but not happy with the "Feel" of it.