Vortec cooling

RandyN

I am in the midst of swapping a 4.8 Vortec/4L60/NP241 into my 92 YJ. It had a 2.5 with the AX 5. I am a bit tight on budget and contemplating putting the stoc rad back in with an aux transmission cooler until I have some more funds. I have searched the web till my eyes are square!!
So it would be temporary, I dont have a heavy foot and a hot day here is 95-100F and there aren't a lot of those. What are the thought in this group? Has anyone had success or failure?
Thanks
Randy

Fouledplugs

YJ Addict
Supporting Member
I highly doubt the 2.5 radiator will keep up.

Will the inlet and outlets even be right for your new engine?

Are you using the mechanical fan off the Vortec?

OP
R

RandyN

I highly doubt the 2.5 radiator will keep up.

Will the inlet and outlets even be right for your new engine?

Are you using the mechanical fan off the Vortec?
I can make the inlet and utlet work wihout too much difficulty. There isn't a fan on this engine so will be solely electric. I am thinking I best wait and buy a proper sized rad with an integrated transmission cooler.

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
I can make the inlet and utlet work wihout too much difficulty. There isn't a fan on this engine so will be solely electric. I am thinking I best wait and buy a proper sized rad with an integrated transmission cooler.
I bought my 3 row Champion aluminum radiator and electric fan w/shroud from Radiator Express for, I think, less than $400.
Think I actually found it on Amazon.
Radiator Express called me to let me know the fan might interfere with the water pump.
I assured them it would be fine as I have the 2.5, and half the engine bay IS fan shroud.
The original radiator had a bad case of the crusteze, but it still worked, also wanted to be rid of the propeller.

Reactions: RandyN