Using AC vents for heat

MidnightSociety

Hey guys, new member here. So my new to me YJ is a 93, came factory equipped with AC! It’s my first wrangler to ever have that option. Only time I ever saw these vents was in an 80s grand wagoner. Well yesterday while I was trying to figure out some radio wiring, I noticed behind the vents there was what looked like an AC condenser/heater core looking apparatus. Haven’t had to use the heat yet, but I was wondering if anyone here has modified their heat ducting to use those vents for the AC to better direct the flow towards the driver and passenger?

my compressor and grille mounted condenser are both trash, compressor is actually missing. So I’m not planning on using any of that to retain AC.

curious if it’s possible.

thanks in advance!

Reactions: Whiplash2130
Maybe I'm confused. Don't the heat and A/C both come out of the same vents.

I think I need to re-read this, because I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, which is probably my own fault.

I think I need to re-read this, because I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, which is probably my own fault.
Hey man thanks for the reply! I just found this out myself, the AC vents are a totally separate thing from Jeep. It has its own blower and system aside from the main heater. What sucks is middle of winter you don’t have an option to direct heat anywhere, but with the ac vents you do. So I’m hoping to find a way to merge the two as my AC doesn’t even exist anymore, just the vents and blower are still there

Reactions: Chris

No, YJs use an under dash AC unit. They have a heater that is attached to the cowl and distributes heat to the floor and the windshield defroster. The AC unit they use bolts up to the bottom of the dash sort of like an add-on, picks up air from above the driver's pedals, and distributes it to the driver's knees and chest. Two fully separate systems. You could run AC and heat at the same time if desired, not that there is a real reason to.

Reactions: Chris