Trouble starting

dbrowntx

I have a 92 YJ, 4 cyl., 5 speed with a starting issue. All I get is a click (sounds like the starter engaging?). Battery checks good, I thought it was the starter so I replaced the starter last night, still no start. Tried jumping it off, doesn't help. Was able to push start it (popping the clutch so I could get home). Other ideas? What I've see so far from others posts is: alternator, ignition switch, ground... Any help would be appreciated. By the way, only has 52,000 miles on it. Was a barn find by the previous owner. I've had it since early spring and it's been a blast to drive!

Battery is not putting out the power that you think it is, batt. Terminals not making good contact. Those are the best places to start. How was the battery tested? One way to eliminate a faulty battery is to hook up a good battery on another running vehicle with jumper cables. Many people will test a battery with a volt meter, and if it says 12 or more volts they will believe it to be good. This doesn’t tell you anything about the condition of the battery. It has to be tested under a load with the proper equipment.

If you determine it is the cables, I had great luck with these: