Transfer case grinding when shifting into 4 low…

redbullet

YJ Enthusiast
I have an automatic 1993 yj 2.5L with the 321j transfer case. I am following the owners manual procedure to shift into 4 low (2-4 mph with transmission in neutral) and recently started to get a wild grinding noise only when trying to shift the transfer case. Fluid has been changed and is full. I am going to start with trying to adjust the linkage. Any tips on adjusting the linkage and thoughts on other solutions are much appreciated.

I never had luck shifting to 4LO while moving 2-3 mph. Sitting still it’s perfect, never a problem. I’d do as Gila suggested.

Ive had several YJ's and none were what you'd call buttery smooth on the T case shift. It takes a firm yank or push to change it. The only uber smooth T case Ive ever had was the 205.

If it is still difficult to go into low range after stopping, try putting transmission back into drive and let it turn a little. That’s with the transfer case in neutral. I have had to do that many times to get gearing to line up better on many 4 wd vehicles.

Definitely still tanks a firm yank sitting still, but for me never had a problem with it not going into 4LO in that scenario. They'll never be buttery smooth, just not designed that way.

I'm sure many prefer the shift lever but I can see why most OEMs have switched to electronic transfer cases. They work well in most cases from what I've seen.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am also going to hit the shifter and linkage with some penetrant and silicon lube to try and loosen things up a bit. Had a look under the boot last night and everything is looking a little crusty.