Smelling gas when turning off engine (no smells while running)

dgwall1

The smell of gas is strong just a I turn off the engine. Looking hasn't found any liquid gas around the engine or fuel lines. Worried that it is dangerous?

I had a small drip at my fuel filter a while back. Doesn’t take much of a leak to make a big smell. And yup. Dangerous

checked fuel lines, filter and fuel tank. nothing damp or wet. think maybe fuel injectors may be still seeping gas after ignition turned off? Bad enough smell that a local garage didn't want to put the Jeep into his garage just in case the gas was leaking somewhere - but they didn't see anything either.

You said fuel injectors, so I assume it's not a earlier YJ with a carb, right?

If it is indeed leaking fuel, I would think you'd see some fuel puddles somewhere.

4 cyl's 4 injectors. Carb is for controlling air flow and throttle position sensor. No evidence of fuel except a STRONG smell. I don't smoke, but it's for sure I won't allow anyone to smoke around the Jeep for the first 2 minutes after I turn it off!!!

Mine smelled like gas for week after filling tank, found a 10" crack in tank at the seam while changing the pump.
$650.00 later, the Fifth time was the charm for that fiasco...

Check the fuel pressure at the rail and see if it holds after shutdown. An injector may be leaking into the intake manifold and evaporating out.