Small coolant leak in the front of the engine of my 91 4.0 YJ

mathewaz

Hey guys im having some trouble tracking this leak down and was hoping to get some advice.

I noticed a pretty small puddle of coolant under my car and am trying to figure out where its coming from. I noticed a little pool on the to front right side of the oil pan (pictured) it doesn't look like any of the tubes above it are leaking or anything and I'm not sure where else it could be coming from

The leak is pretty minor and i havent noticed my coolant level go down. Its also pretty new though so I'd rather fix it asap than have it getting worse

Thanks!

20200811_165148.jpg

20200811_160928.jpg

20200811_160922.jpg

Typically the water pump leaks when the seal around ther shaft goes bad. I can't recall but most pumps have a small weep hole underneath by that shaft the coolant drops out. You may be able to get a finger in there and feel it.

The most efficient way to diagnose the leak is with a pressure tester. It looks similar to a small hand pump for a bicycle or a football. It screws onto the radiator and allows you to pressurize the cooling system. Naturally, the leak, “should,” show it’s-self and make it easy to pinpoint the problem.

Some auto parts store will rent them to you. Good luck.

Reactions: Chris and mathewaz