Simpler days?

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
For so of us older guys we recall the simple days as I refer to them. There was green coolant,not 15 different types and colors, oil came in cardboard and tin top quart cans, a battery didnt cost $250+. You pulled the family camp trailer with a LTD station wagon with fake wood paneling on the sides, a truck was made to be hosed out when grubby. This all came to mind again this AM as I looked for a fan clutch for my 2000 Silverado. A half dozen mfg's, depends on its axle ratio, reverse rotation or normal rotation, A/C or no A/C, tow pkg or not, and finally the HD or "severe duty" version. Sheesh, maybe that screaming fan isnt so annoying after all. ;)

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Back when you could buy an affordable truck with just a heater, radio and the 4 speed was standard equipment, maybe it came with power steering.:)
Oh yeah, those were the days!

Yes, when pickup trucks were about the cheapest thing you could purchase. They were made for work and no one else bought them. Now they're ridiculous monstrosities. Working stiffs who actually need them can't actually buy them.

As for different coolant, ATF was a whole heck of a lot simpler too.

As for the engines themselves, I think about my '56 Chevy under the hood and how simple, clean and uncluttered it was. It had upper/lower radiator and heater hoses obviously. A rubber fuel line from the fuel pump and ONE vacuum hose for the spark advance. "Modern" cars (and I use the term modern extremely loosely) have miles of hoses going here there and everywhere. Actually true modern cars have fewer hoses and tubes than many generations of automobiles)

Amen cas!
My old 65 Chevy was simple like that, you could actually sit in the engine compartment and work on it.
The '80 J20 fit the heater and radio bill, but had miles of vacuum hose being an '80s smog monster.

Amen cas!
My old 65 Chevy was simple like that, you could actually sit in the engine compartment and work on it.
The '80 J20 fit the heater and radio bill, but had miles of vacuum hose being an '80s smog monster.
Ha,ha..that brings back memories. I had a 74 K10 and I would literally sit on the fender edge with my feet on the frame when changing plugs or a tune up. I have dreams of stumbling into a warehouse full of unmolested pre smog cars and trucks. Gotta say out here where we live there's is a endless amount of old 4x4 trucks just sitting rotting away. Spotted a bone stock 60ies Bronco with the factory half cab yesterday. Very tempting!!