Should I rebuild my manual transmission or buy a remanufactured unit?

Piratesailor

Just off the phone with my mechanic. Transmission is going into 2nd roughly. It goes, but you can hear it and it a bit sticky. He said it’s the synchro which I pretty much guessed as well. We’re going to do some basics like making sure the fluid is changed, etc before taking any next step. It’s also not bad enough that I have to worry about immediately. However, with that said, I’m starting to research rebuild vs remanufactured. What I”m seeing so far is that the price differential between the two options isn’t that great. looks like a swap with a reman would be the most cost effective (Plus a longer warranty).

Thoughts? What have you seen in the market?

With a 93 4.0 you have the AX15, i which is still manufactured brand new and sells for around $1650. I’d go that route. It would come set up for 1994+ external slave cylinder setup, which means you’d need to buy a different bellhousing and a few other parts to make the external slave work. But it’s worth it. External slave is a huge upgrade and a brand new transmission will work well for a really long time.

With a 93 4.0 you have the AX15, i which is still manufactured brand new and sells for around $1650. I’d go that route. It would come set up for 1994+ external slave cylinder setup, which means you’d need to buy a different bellhousing and a few other parts to make the external slave work. But it’s worth it. External slave is a huge upgrade and a brand new transmission will work well for a really long time.
Excellent. Thanks. I didn’t realize they are still made brand new. like you mentioned I think it’s the way to go and something that will last longer. What I know about transmission could fill a Shot glass. LOL

Today’s price at Novak is $1859.00. Does someone that you know of have one cheaper?

Today’s price at Novak is $1859.00. Does someone that you know of have one cheaper?
Geez, that sucks. I didn’t realize they had gone up. Looks like advance adapters is 1661 which is cheaper but by the time you add in shipping and tax it will be more. Novak didn’t charge tax so that helped, but damn 1859 is a lot.

You can rebuild the ax15 if you're willing to take on the challenge and if you have the special tools like a hydraulic press and c-clip pliers. You can find master rebuild kits for around $300. Detailed instructions can be found on this forum using the factory service manual instructions found in the reference section.
Just take extra care not to lose any of the small bearings or springs. I rebuilt an ax5 and put all the small parts in Sandwich baggies and took pictures of everything during the process.

Honestly, it could be $2500 and it would still be a reasonable price, but just far more than we're used to. A brand new OEM manual trans for my last few trucks would cost around $3k each, so I'd say the new price is not out of line. Just sucks to see that price increase when you've been used to the lower price for the last ten years.

Reactions: ytradio
Honestly, it could be $2500 and it would still be a reasonable price, but just far more than we're used to. A brand new OEM manual trans for my last few trucks would cost around $3k each, so I'd say the new price is not out of line. Just sucks to see that price increase when you've been used to the lower price for the last ten years.
Oh I agree 100%. The 6 speed auto in my F150 would have been $6000 plus if not for extended warranty. But that did include labor.

OK...Just bought a AX-15 rebuild from an outfit out of Memphis Tn. Everything is cool so far, But...When it gets cold like down into the 40's, Mine requires a little extra effort getting into second from first no grinding, Just sticky...This could be a trait of the 15? But after that first shift and down the road a jump, No more problem.....
I paid 1300 for it shipped, Taxes and all. With a 300 core refund upon return. Shipped in a hard clam shell cover with an inner ratchet strap and the customer service was outstanding......Hope it helps.....

OK...Just bought a AX-15 rebuild from an outfit out of Memphis Tn. Everything is cool so far, But...When it gets cold like down into the 40's, Mine requires a little extra effort getting into second from first no grinding, Just sticky...This could be a trait of the 15? But after that first shift and down the road a jump, No more problem.....
I paid 1300 for it shipped, Taxes and all. With a 300 core refund upon return. Shipped in a hard clam shell cover with an inner ratchet strap and the customer service was outstanding......Hope it helps.....

Good information. I think that was one of the companies I looked at. Cost was right around 1k after core.

You can rebuild the ax15 if you're willing to take on the challenge and if you have the special tools like a hydraulic press and c-clip pliers. You can find master rebuild kits for around $300. Detailed instructions can be found on this forum using the factory service manual instructions found in the reference section.
Just take extra care not to lose any of the small bearings or springs. I rebuilt an ax5 and put all the small parts in Sandwich baggies and took pictures of everything during the process.
I agree for a few hundred dollars and a few tools you can rebuild it yourself. I prefer this option most of the time as you know what you have, and it belongs to your vehicle so no adapting or buying additional parts. One piece of advice to add to the above I have learned after rebuilding many transmissions and transfer cases. Clean the outside of the unit very well, dirt, grease, and other stuff. Pay attention to the nooks and crannies, yes this is before you tear it down. Make sure you have a clean work surface. I like using a big piece of cardboard as the service. Once completely torn down and inspected change out the cardboard for the rebuild. The cardboard absorbs the fluid, protects the parts, and keeps the small parts from bouncing around.

Reactions: ytradio and Flyer58
I agree for a few hundred dollars and a few tools you can rebuild it yourself. I prefer this option most of the time as you know what you have, and it belongs to your vehicle so no adapting or buying additional parts. One piece of advice to add to the above I have learned after rebuilding many transmissions and transfer cases. Clean the outside of the unit very well, dirt, grease, and other stuff. Pay attention to the nooks and crannies, yes this is before you tear it down. Make sure you have a clean work surface. I like using a big piece of cardboard as the service. Once completely torn down and inspected change out the cardboard for the rebuild. The cardboard absorbs the fluid, protects the parts, and keeps the small parts from bouncing around.
No kidding. I pressure washed mine for about 30 minutes getting off decades of grease and dirt. I also bought a Harbor Freight parts washer for the internal parts and modified it by adding a screw on oil filter and bracket to help keep the fluid clean.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 234331.jpg

Reactions: ytradio
No kidding. I pressure washed mine for about 30 minutes getting off decades of grease and dirt. I also bought a Harbor Freight parts washer for the internal parts and modified it by adding a screw on oil filter and bracket to help keep the fluid clean.

View attachment 120575
Cool Beans I did exacly the same, although I am not crazy about the water based cleaner, I got for the parts washer.

Cool Beans I did exacly the same, although I am not crazy about the water based cleaner, I got for the parts washer.
The water based cleaner didn't work for me either. I use PSC 1000 solvent from Tractor supply now and drain the tub each time back into the can. The pump they use is a water fountain pump and I found that draining the solvent out helps. The pump has lasted for several years without failing. Also water based cleaner instantly clogs the filter.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 091933.jpg