Security locks for ‘94 YJ

reidboy1

Supporting Member
Hello all. Right now my YJ security is the manual transmission:). Does any one know of a good locking mechanism you can attach to the hood release behind the grill? I had seen them before but can’t seem to locate on Amazon. And while I could also use a Club on the steering wheel, is there any kind of electronic immobilizer out there that would work on an old Jeep? Thanks

I found a couple online that I believe may be what you are looking for:

I will be honest and say that I have not used either product. My Jeep is locked in my garage in a non-running state, so security is not an issue at the moment.

I could not quickly find anything for an engine immobilizer. However, you could try a battery disconnect switch such as this one: (https://www.harborfreight.com/batte...53.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+disconnect+switch). Between that and the hood latch lock, it is an inexpensive way to keep your Jeep from being started.

I'm only half-joking, but it has been my experience that using the parking brake is also a good deterrent. So many people don't use theirs that they don't know what to do when it is applied. Even at dealerships, I've had to release the parking brake for the technicians because they couldn't figure why my vehicles weren't moving when applying a lot of gas!

Reactions: JronATL
I like the old school cable lock like the Hornet 565T more than anything like the Tuffy where it’s just a physical lock that overlaps the stock latch and blocks it from actuating. The cable lock also provides a wire and relay to wire up to the starter which prevents starting when the hood is locked. That way not only can they not start it, but they can’t open the hood to mess with it.

The problem is the old school cable setups can be hard to find because they are old.

I found a couple online that I believe may be what you are looking for:

I will be honest and say that I have not used either product. My Jeep is locked in my garage in a non-running state, so security is not an issue at the moment.

I could not quickly find anything for an engine immobilizer. However, you could try a battery disconnect switch such as this one: (https://www.harborfreight.com/batte...53.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+disconnect+switch). Between that and the hood latch lock, it is an inexpensive way to keep your Jeep from being started.

I'm only half-joking, but it has been my experience that using the parking brake is also a good deterrent. So many people don't use theirs that they don't know what to do when it is applied. Even at dealerships, I've had to release the parking brake for the technicians because they couldn't figure why my vehicles weren't moving when applying a lot of gas!
Thanks, this is great! That’s the lock I’d seen before, I remember the comment about it ‘actually working’. And that disconnect is brilliant, especially when combined with the lock. Easy to quickly remove when parking it anywhere. And it’s only $7!

I like the old school cable lock like the Hornet 565T more than anything like the Tuffy where it’s just a physical lock that overlaps the stock latch and blocks it from actuating. The cable lock also provides a wire and relay to wire up to the starter which prevents starting when the hood is locked. That way not only can they not start it, but they can’t open the hood to mess with it.

The problem is the old school cable setups can be hard to find because they are old.
Thanks, will check this out too

Hello all. Right now my YJ security is the manual transmission:). Does any one know of a good locking mechanism you can attach to the hood release behind the grill? I had seen them before but can’t seem to locate on Amazon. And while I could also use a Club on the steering wheel, is there any kind of electronic immobilizer out there that would work on an old Jeep? Thanks
Here's my 94 YJ's Security Systems:

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_6013.JPG

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20160926_141620944_HDR.JPG

_storage_emulated_0_Download_IMG_20160712_201132.JPG

Here's my 411 on YJ security from wheel locks to hood locks to door hinge security to console security to car alarm system...

Wheel Locks: McGard (www.mcgard.com). These are keyed lug nuts (replacing 1 of the 5 on ea. wheel) that can only be removed with a "key" that affixes to a ratchet set. You can buy just a single for the spare or a set of 5 so that all of your wheels are protected. There are varying sized lug nut threads, so you'll want to check the website and order the correct ones for your specific rims. Total cost for a set of 5 is about $40. You can also order a small nylon zipper pouch to safe-keep the key. The pouch is awesome as it has an elastic loop on the back which allows you to snuggly store it on the tire iron/jack stored under your locked hood.

Door Hinge Locks: Being able to remove a Jeep's doors is a real treat for Jeepers. Have you ever considered how easy they can be removed and/or stolen?. A simple crescent wrench will release the hinge pin. To secure your doors, check out the McGard (part #76057) door hinge locks. Set of two is about $35.00.

Hood Lock: I recommend the Tuffy (tuffyproducts.com) YJ hood lock #295. (I couldn't find the invoice, so I don't remember what I paid for it.)_. Also for an extra $10. get the accompanying dust cover (part #091). If you look at the photo of my post re: naming my rig Square Lights, you'll see it mounted in the upper left corner behind the grill. I installed it myself and would consider it a medium to difficult install. I remember tuning in a SF 49er football game when I/it started & the game was just ending when I finished. Unlike the Rugged Ridge YJ Wrangler Hood Lock which I was able to easily jimmy open, this Tuffy product is solid and one would have to do major damage to the hood to bypass it.

Security Console: Another recommended investment IMHO, is replacing the stock center console with a Tuffy locking one. Check out the website for various models/colors. One of the advantages w/ Tuffy products is you can key them all the same. Thus my hood lock and center console both lock with the same key.

Car Alarm System: 6 1/2 years ago, my rig was stolen right out from an underground apartment garage. It went missing for 3 weeks but was eventually recovered.. Other than the stereo gear all being stolen, the lock on my Tuffy console being drilled out, and the lock on the ignition stripped, the vehicle was not otherwise damaged. My first investment (after replacing the ignition switch) was to invest in an alarm system. My choice was the Viper Smart Start. (viper.com/smartstart) Don't remember the cost, but approx. $300-400 including installation. This alarm system has the capability to remote-start your vehicle, although I didn't purchase that option. The features I use include: obviously a sound=alarm, the ability to use a key fob or a smart phone to turn the system on/off, an ongoing meter of your battery's charge, and GPS. In addition to the initial cost, there is a 3-yr. monitoring fee of $300 (100 per year) for the GPS. I find this an invaluable feeling of security. Even if your rig is stolen, your GPS will tell you where it is. Another cool feature (which I don't use b/c nobody but me drives my rig) is called fencing. With the GPS you can set either an interior or exterior "fence" limiting where your rig can travel. Say, for example, you have a teenager who you don't want driving a long way from home. You can set a parameter limiting where the Jeep can be driven without sending an alarm. Or maybe you don't want your teenager to be in/at a specific place. You can set a parameter around that space preventing the Jeep from going into it without setting off the GPS alarm. Also FWIW, I went online and found stickers to put on my windows alerting would-be thieves that my rig is protected with a GPS. As mentioned, I've had this system for over 6 years and it has performed flawlessly.

Hope you find all this "security stuff" helpful.

Good timing on this thread.
We have a Honda Accord (most stolen car in America) . It has 2 kill switches, one disables the fuel pump relay and the other one keeps the engine from cranking. They are far apart from each other and well hidden. Both must be [on] to start the car. If we have to go into Spokane, WA, we also use The Club. I'm not having another car stolen 🤬.
I hate Spokane.
I'm right now in the process of adding a kill switch (or 2) to the jeep but need to figure out where to splice into the wiring. I'd like to do the same thing as I did on the Honda. Might tap into the trigger wire down by the starter to disable cranking, with the second switch to interupt fuel pump, or maybe gorund the coil.🤔

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, Sometimes I leave the Spot GPS hidden in the rig, when it's parked in questionable areas.

Reactions: reidboy1
Here's my 411 on YJ security from wheel locks to hood locks to door hinge security to console security to car alarm system...

Wheel Locks: McGard (www.mcgard.com). These are keyed lug nuts (replacing 1 of the 5 on ea. wheel) that can only be removed with a "key" that affixes to a ratchet set. You can buy just a single for the spare or a set of 5 so that all of your wheels are protected. There are varying sized lug nut threads, so you'll want to check the website and order the correct ones for your specific rims. Total cost for a set of 5 is about $40. You can also order a small nylon zipper pouch to safe-keep the key. The pouch is awesome as it has an elastic loop on the back which allows you to snuggly store it on the tire iron/jack stored under your locked hood.

Door Hinge Locks: Being able to remove a Jeep's doors is a real treat for Jeepers. Have you ever considered how easy they can be removed and/or stolen?. A simple crescent wrench will release the hinge pin. To secure your doors, check out the McGard (part #76057) door hinge locks. Set of two is about $35.00.

Hood Lock: I recommend the Tuffy (tuffyproducts.com) YJ hood lock #295. (I couldn't find the invoice, so I don't remember what I paid for it.)_. Also for an extra $10. get the accompanying dust cover (part #091). If you look at the photo of my post re: naming my rig Square Lights, you'll see it mounted in the upper left corner behind the grill. I installed it myself and would consider it a medium to difficult install. I remember tuning in a SF 49er football game when I/it started & the game was just ending when I finished. Unlike the Rugged Ridge YJ Wrangler Hood Lock which I was able to easily jimmy open, this Tuffy product is solid and one would have to do major damage to the hood to bypass it.

Security Console: Another recommended investment IMHO, is replacing the stock center console with a Tuffy locking one. Check out the website for various models/colors. One of the advantages w/ Tuffy products is you can key them all the same. Thus my hood lock and center console both lock with the same key.

Car Alarm System: 6 1/2 years ago, my rig was stolen right out from an underground apartment garage. It went missing for 3 weeks but was eventually recovered.. Other than the stereo gear all being stolen, the lock on my Tuffy console being drilled out, and the lock on the ignition stripped, the vehicle was not otherwise damaged. My first investment (after replacing the ignition switch) was to invest in an alarm system. My choice was the Viper Smart Start. (viper.com/smartstart) Don't remember the cost, but approx. $300-400 including installation. This alarm system has the capability to remote-start your vehicle, although I didn't purchase that option. The features I use include: obviously a sound=alarm, the ability to use a key fob or a smart phone to turn the system on/off, an ongoing meter of your battery's charge, and GPS. In addition to the initial cost, there is a 3-yr. monitoring fee of $300 (100 per year) for the GPS. I find this an invaluable feeling of security. Even if your rig is stolen, your GPS will tell you where it is. Another cool feature (which I don't use b/c nobody but me drives my rig) is called fencing. With the GPS you can set either an interior or exterior "fence" limiting where your rig can travel. Say, for example, you have a teenager who you don't want driving a long way from home. You can set a parameter limiting where the Jeep can be driven without sending an alarm. Or maybe you don't want your teenager to be in/at a specific place. You can set a parameter around that space preventing the Jeep from going into it without setting off the GPS alarm. Also FWIW, I went online and found stickers to put on my windows alerting would-be thieves that my rig is protected with a GPS. As mentioned, I've had this system for over 6 years and it has performed flawlessly.

Hope you find all this "security stuff" helpful.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I’m waiting on the Tuffy hood lock, it’s back-ordered. And adding the battery disconnect recommended earlier. Might do wheel lock nuts too, but I think I’m good with that as the Jeep is kept in my garage at night

I'll add this here since many probably own a newer vehicle too

This past week we were moving a friend into an apartment and started talking to one of his neighbors who had just recovered his new Jeep Cherokee that was stolen and police located on the way to Louisiana. His new Jeep has the new key fob security found in many new cars.

So police told him that criminals will sit in their car or walk around a store with a cellphone type receiver and record the signal the fob transmits. It tricks the fob to believe it's near a car then records you fob's code. Then they go out looking to see which car starts or lights blink. They now own your car.

Within two hours of stealing his car they had changed the license plates, new VIN numbers, Key and fob, disabled the tracker, and took the radio. They got caught because the owner had a windshield EZTag sticker for the Houston toll roads and the Jeep owner was smart enough to check his account and report it to the police. By the time the car was headed to the state line they had removed the EZTag and tossed it.

Turns out it was a group of professionals who stole his Jeep, two Lambo’s in Arizona and another car and just rotated the plates between the cars. They all got caught.

Police recommended buying a small security wallet (Faraday Key Fob Wallet) that protects the key fob signal while it’s in your pocket. He’s getting one along with a separate tracker like the airtag.

Stay safe.