Recommend Steering Stabilizer?

Danny H

I’m brand new to the Jeep world and I’m discovering that the rabbit hole runs deep! Does anyone have a recommendation for a steering shock for my 88 YJ? I’m very close to stock and will probably stay there but I do want a better shock that will help with stability and feedback.

First let's get it out of the way that the steering stabilizer (you're calling it a steering shock) does little to nothing. In fact, it does so little that you can take it off your vehicle, go drive around for a week, and you won't notice any difference whatsoever.

It's job is to dampen potentially harsh movements in the steering.

Don't be misled into thinking and of these expensive, aftermarket stabilizers offer any sort of improvement. They do not, and this is a great way to waste money on a problem that doesn't exist, I promise.

If you want something that works well, doesn't cost a ton, and will be everything you need, get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C53XRK/?tag=yjforum-20

Yep, that's it! Black, boring, and not as eye catchy as the Fox ones you see all the JK guys running.

But you know what? Those expensive Fox ones do nothing more than this will, I guarantee it. Those guys are capitalizing on a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

So unless you want to waste your money on the "bling" factor, get that one I mentioned above, throw it on, and your wallet will thank me (y)

Reactions: DOWNS and Flyer58
To add to this, those Fox stabilizers (especially the dual ones) are often so stiff that it makes you have to fight harder to turn the steering wheel (it truly does) and there is speculation as to weather that's harder on your power steering pump 😲

No problem, happy to help (y)

It's money best spent elsewhere.
Just out of curiosity, what if it wasn't?

My wife is terrified to drive her 91 YJ above 50mph. Comparing the aftermarket Terraflex #1513001 shock to the OEM, I found that the OEM was much more stiff. I've already decided to return the Terraflex, but I need something to stiffen it up.

To add to this, those Fox stabilizers (especially the dual ones) are often so stiff that it makes you have to fight harder to turn the steering wheel (it truly does) and there is speculation as to weather that's harder on your power steering pump 😲
Thats a fact. Ive run a stock monroe or gabriel or who ever made, a Rancho 5000, and nothing on my 91 with 31's. Working a tight trail is great with none. Stick one on and hear the steering whine a bit. Most guys run one to bandaid death wobble, especially the TJ (total junk) crowd. Couldent resist that one.

Reactions: Chris and ytradio
Just out of curiosity, what if it wasn't?

My wife is terrified to drive her 91 YJ above 50mph. Comparing the aftermarket Terraflex #1513001 shock to the OEM, I found that the OEM was much more stiff. I've already decided to return the Terraflex, but I need something to stiffen it up.
As mentioned in another thread. You probably have much larger problems than a worn steering stabilizer.

My wife is terrified to drive her 91 YJ above 50mph.

You are misdiagnosing the problem.

The steering stabilizer has nothing (read NOTHING) to do with what your wife is experiencing. What she is experiencing is caused by something else (potentially a multitude of issues). I can safely say though beyond a shadow of a doubt that a steering stabilizer isn't going to fix her issue. She could be running no stabilizer at all on the highway and it won't affect the steering in the manner you are describing.

If I had to guess you've got an issue with the track bar, ball joints, wheel / tire balancing issue, tie rod / drag link, steering box, etc. Could be a multitude of issues as I mentioned above.

Reactions: ytradio