Radio Issue

NewYJOwner

First off, thank you all so much for the advice so far. It’s been very helpful. Having another issue I hope you guys could help me with. Every time I turn off the jeep, I lose all presets and programming in my radio. There is a small amp on the system with a toggle switch that has to be turned on for the radio to work. At first I thought it was because I was toggling it off and disconnecting it from the battery, but that was not the issue. Any ideas?

Generally speaking here and I assume you have a aftermerket stereo. Anything with a clock or preset ability needs a constant hot so it does not do what your getting. Every stereo Ive had or put in used a "red" to a keyed source that turned it off when the key is off and a "yellow" that needs a constant hot all the time to keep the station presets and clock going. I will add my 91 was set up as described here and when it sat for 3 weeks it killed the battery. Normal? maybe,maybe not. It is possible that a internal relay of sorts in your stereo is sticking and its keeping the CD player part hot all the time which pulls far more parasitic power and caused what I think I was experiancing. I bascially loose my presets and clock when I turn the key off now. Google auto parasitic draw test on youtube and you can check you jeeps system to see if you have the issue I did. BTW, my stereo is a dirt covered/filled POS Pioneer and no wonder its screwed up.