Personal recommendations for a lame commuter car? Bonus points for a manual transmission

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
Currently I'm sporting the YJ and a 2019 Nissan Frontier. I like the Frontier a lot but honestly, I have always wanted a Gladiator JT since the reveal in 2018. I want the Mojave package with all the bells and probably a few whistles, and it is not going to be cheap to get what I want. I'm looking to ditch the Frontier, drive a lame commuter that gets 40 mpg for a year or so, and save save save so I can put aside some money, tackle a few small debts, and at the same time make a small pile as a down payment for the JT. Anyone have a commuter they recommend?

As things are right now, it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep putting money and payments into the truck and racking up lots of miles on it while also getting bad mpg. All of that is hindering me from the truck I really want and so it seems better to suck it up and drive something boring for a bit to get my bearings straight and get my money where it needs to be. I certainly would prefer a manual trans no matter what I get so that I don't want to blow my brains out from total boredom. A manual will at least keep me semi entertained and I can still have a small bit of fun with it whipping around town and revving the hell out of it before shifting. It would be good for my 100 miles a day I drive round trip to work, pulling 35-40 on the highway.

Looking at Sentras, Versas, Corollas, Civics, etc. Wondering if a Civic Si might be a good way to go. Can get one 6-7 years old for 15K, it will retain decent value and it would honestly have a pretty good fun factor considering what it is. It's not turbo charged, so no real complicated stuff, just a simple port injected sporty 4 cyl 6 speed FWD car. Let me know what y'all think.

I saw a post on the Jeep subreddit of a 2Door Gladiator with a light bar mounted behind the back windshield on the bed. It looked beast. Let me see if I can find it.

My only complaint is that I think the lights on the light bar are a little too tiny.

Jeep-J6-Concept-Gladiator-1.jpg

Reactions: machoheadgames
I was less interested in them when it was the Rubi or sports or overland only, but the Mojave trim really has grabbed my attention. Looks freakin awesome, great suspension from the factory, It is pretty much everything I would have changed about the Rubi if I could have. You get beefier axles too. The only thing I would change about the Mojave is put the rear locker up front (front is open), and then put a TrueTrac out back. But that's being picky, a locker rear is still a good setup, just not as much of what I need.

I don't care what color, I am partial to the sarge green, but any of them look good. It will be hard to find the manual one I want, fully optioned out, but I can always order if I want to. The main thing is handling the money. People would say I'm crazy to choose the manual over the 8 speed auto but I just know I'd be bored. The only downside to the manual is a weak factory clutch feel and the gears suck. I would probably regear it on stock tires which would turn 1st into a granny gear but all the other gears would be usable. I think it would be a ton of fun and the ultimate capable, customizable daily driver.

ogi-gladiator2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

My only complaint is that I think the lights on the light bar are a little too tiny.

View attachment 118732
That's good lookin. I'm guessing a concept that didn't end up happening? Currently only option is 4 door crew cab short bed. That's gotta be either a concept, or a transformed JL 4 door that has some sort of conversion kit.

Lights do look kinda small, would look a lot better with the KC bar and 4-6 bigger lights up there. I would probably opt for A-pillar brackets and driving lights personally. And Rigid fogs in the bumper.

Unfortunately they are not available for the V8. The V8 is only on the Wrangler, and it is about 90K total. 8 speed auto only also but I'd probably take the auto for the V8. The gladiator is V6 ecodiesel, or V6 gas. The gas can be 8 speed auto or 6 speed manual, the diesel is 8 speed auto only. My plan would be V6 gas manual.

I'm personally done with little shit-boxes, but the the best one I ever had was a Subaru 2wd DL hatchback.
It was still getting 45mpg when I drove it to the junk yard, the car was just falling apart after 300k miles.
It couldn't beat it's way out of a wet paper bag, but it was economical.
No clue to what's out there now or might be practical for you, though some of my now "former" colleagues liked Hondas'.

I'm personally done with little shit-boxes, but the the best one I ever had was a Subaru 2wd DL hatchback.
It was still getting 45mpg when I drove it to the junk yard, the car was just falling apart after 300k miles.
It couldn't beat it's way out of a wet paper bag, but it was economical.
No clue to what's out there now or might be practical for you, though some of my now "former" colleagues liked Hondas'.
I'm certainly not thrilled about the prospect of whipping around a shitbox, but it seems to be a practical choice for what I'm trying to accomplish. I do think getting something a bit more fun would probably be a good idea even if it costs more, it likely will take care of me in resale value anyways. For example, picking a sporty civic trim vs a nissan versa or something. A versa is like absolute bottom of the barrel for brand new and really nobody is looking for a used one of those once it has miles or some years, unless they can get it for dirt cheap: a lot cheaper than i can get one I'd be willing to drive.

Funny about the subaru. They seem to be good vehicles but they are kind of like the toyota of the car game. Way overpriced for what they are, in general. Arguably better, maybe in some aspects. But probably not the best choice considering I'm being money conscious, or at least trying to be. Sounds like it worked pretty well for you though.

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
I'm certainly not thrilled about the prospect of whipping around a shitbox, but it seems to be a practical choice for what I'm trying to accomplish. I do think getting something a bit more fun would probably be a good idea even if it costs more, it likely will take care of me in resale value anyways. For example, picking a sporty civic trim vs a nissan versa or something. A versa is like absolute bottom of the barrel for brand new and really nobody is looking for a used one of those once it has miles or some years, unless they can get it for dirt cheap: a lot cheaper than i can get one I'd be willing to drive.

Funny about the subaru. They seem to be good vehicles but they are kind of like the toyota of the car game. Way overpriced for what they are, in general. Arguably better, maybe in some aspects. But probably not the best choice considering I'm being money conscious, or at least trying to be. Sounds like it worked pretty well for you though.
It did, but that was 30+ years ago and I only gave $300 for it, then proceeded to put 150k miles on it.
Different story today, was looking at used Yotas some years back and was blown away at the prices.
$20k for a 10 year old pu with 170K? OMG!
Just had a friend retire and bought a new Tacoma for about the same price as used.
I actually bought the Merc I was driving when I picked up your axle from him for the Blue Book offer he was given.
What can I say, I like my mafia staff cars!

Reactions: machoheadgames
GF drives a used Hyundai Elantra. I can't remember the year. I think it was about $17,000 and was low mileage, less than 50,000.
I'll have to look into them. Been looking at a lot of stuff today and while the Hondas are not cheap, they seem to be the nicest quality for the relative best price point that still leaves some fun factor and resale value in a few years.

It did, but that was 30+ years ago and I only gave $300 for it, then proceeded to put 150k miles on it.
Different story today, was looking at used Yotas some years back and was blown away at the prices.
$20k for a 10 year old pu with 170K? OMG!
Just had a friend retire and bought a new Tacoma for about the same price as used.
I actually bought the Merc I was driving when I picked up your axle from him for the Blue Book offer he was given.
What can I say, I like my mafia staff cars!
Hah 300 for 150K is nuts! That's what I need.....don't see that today, no way no how.

Yeah toyota is nuts. They make decent enough stuff but no way in hell most of it is worth that. The only way it's worth it is if it gets totalled and insurance takes care of you, or you resell later and are the guy pocketing 20 grand on your 170k mile truck that you paid 45 for when new. But if you actually buy for 45-50 and expect to drive that amount of money's worth out of it, that will be tough.

I actually had a buddy in college who had a grand marquis. It was fun to give him shit for it just because, but I have to say that was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in, and he and everyone else agreed. I gained a good bit of respect for the hooptys after riding in his.

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
Hah 300 for 150K is nuts! That's what I need.....don't see that today, no way no how.

Yeah toyota is nuts. They make decent enough stuff but no way in hell most of it is worth that. The only way it's worth it is if it gets totalled and insurance takes care of you, or you resell later and are the guy pocketing 20 grand on your 170k mile truck that you paid 45 for when new. But if you actually buy for 45-50 and expect to drive that amount of money's worth out of it, that will be tough.

I actually had a buddy in college who had a grand marquis. It was fun to give him shit for it just because, but I have to say that was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in, and he and everyone else agreed. I gained a good bit of respect for the hooptys after riding in his.
Actually had an elderly neighbor tease me about the first Grand Marquis i bought, she said it was a "Grandpas' Car".
But I just wanted comfortable, though I must admit the fuel economy surprised me (about 23mpg, closer to 30 on road trips).
And comfortable it was, it certainly beat the shit out of my 5mpg j20 that rode like falling down stairs!
Well, best of luck picking something out, that's just my 2 cents.

Thinking I’m going to keep on sporting the frontier for now, and keep my eye out on an XJ. If I could find a clean XJ for 6-7K, that would probably be a pretty decent setup for me considering I know exactly how to work on them and repair parts are cheap. We’ll see. I gave the cars a lot of thought but so far I have to really get a shitbox for it to be an economic decision and I just don’t think I can commit to that. Hurts the manhood too much.

Do you see any for sale that seem worth buying? I haven't hardly seen any. I like those too, although the XJ stands out more since they were made more recently. Any of them would be fine vehicles as they're all the same as the YJ and TJ really besides the basics like suspension and body.

Unfortunatley no. I saw one out your way over the summer. It was around 5K.

There is one near me for 2K, but the whole dash and wires are on the floor.

It is more of a want than a need. It will end up just being another money sucker.

It will make more sense to buy my gpaws 2005 GMC Sierra for 3K. Nothing wrong with it. 80,000 miles and has a v8 Vortec