My '94 Hunter Green “No Compromises" Build

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lol for sure it is nice to have progress. Surely hope it’s not fake progress and that I find the leak again after running it more 🤣 we’ll see. I’m just glad it starts up after all this time, good oil pressure with the new pump, and it sounds just like it always did. Revved it up and it sounded exactly as I remember from all the years of driving it.

Crazy how loud that 4.0 can be when reviving it in the garage.
LOL! My 2.5 isn't that quiet either when revving, even with a BFN exhaust.
But I can tell you It's a hell of a lot quieter than a 2.0 Ford @ 11:1 compression with a Cherry Bomb!
That motor absolutely Barked!

OP
machoheadgames

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
I suppose this thread could use an update. Still not driving it, been lazy lately. Well not really, but kind of. The last thing I wrote on here was about fixing the oil leak, which I still believe is fixed. I have run the engine a few random times and it seems to be good. We will see when I drive it still. Lately I have dug into a lot more work.

To operate my fog lights, daytime running light, backup lights, and driving lights, I decided to install a switch panel to my trim panel. that part was easy, once I received the tuffy panel which took 10 months!! The switches themselves were easy enough to install, I used 4 different color Grote switches. They install into 1/2" round holes. I had to use various ohm rating resistors to get the indicators to all be relatively the same brightness. Also added a USB port to the dash which will run to the back of my stereo mounted console.

IMG_1647.jpeg

What has got me so busy personally is the work to install them. Ordinarily installing switches is easy but it's a pain with the detailed way I insist on doing it. I'm basically making it to where each switch sends power through a relay, but the sources can also trigger the relays. For example, reverse triggers the backup lamp relay, but the switch can manually turn on the backup lamps also. The benefit is I get dual functionality on all 4 switches. The downside is that it is a lot of wires and it is hard to make this clean. Also, to tie into reverse, high beam, etc, I needed to pull the dash apart to make it happen.

IMG_1584.jpeg

On the bright side, it gave me a chance to pull the steering wheel and understand how the horn works, so that I can finally swap to the leather wheel when I finish this project, plus I was able to see what it looked like early. I love the way it looks!

IMG_1582.jpeg

OP
machoheadgames

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
The plan currently:

1. Finish wiring the 4 switches and their relays
  2. Put dash all back together
  3. Finish dash with new steering wheel going on
  4. Tidy up stereo console install
  5. Finish kilmat and carpet installation
  6. Swap booster and master cylinder, and bleed brakes
  7. Change tie rod and drag link and go get an alignment
  8. Drive it
  9. Buy stereo equipment (two amps, component front speakers, 6x9 rear speakers, speaker pods for all, tuffy enclosure for amps and sub)
  10. LED Headlights
  11. Possibly Double D Fab Dash & Speedhut Black/Amber Gauges

OP
machoheadgames

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
Track Bar

After 8 years I added a track bar back to the front of my YJ. I never liked the added vagueness to the steering when I removed it originally so long ago. The reason I removed it back then was mainly as an experiment, but it was also detrimental with my Rough Country 2.5" lift due to the track bar being too short at that point which pulled my axle hard to the left and wore out my leaf spring bushings.

I decided with this big overhaul of my Jeep, I wanted to try a track bar again. I bought a track bar, a Rubicon Express extension bracket, a bolt kit, and the spacer bracket that allows the track bar to bolt to the frame bracket and pivot properly while staying tight. The install was super easy, it went right on and is now parallel with my drag link which is dropped with a drop pitman arm. Besides maybe some stiffer suspension feeling, I think the track bar will be a welcome addition. Better handling overall, more responsive. Combined with new drag link and tie rod components, I think it will handle pretty damn good. I think the OME suspension will still ride well enough that the track bar won't kill the good ride too badly. We'll see though.

IMG_2111.jpeg

OP
machoheadgames

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
New Member of My Fleet

Adding this to the build thread because it goes to buy parts for the YJ! Traded my white 2019 Frontier for this black 2019 Frontier instead. Why?? 6-speed manual! The 4.0L V6 and 6-speed manual combo is a blast. Plus, I just think the truck looks awesome, a lot better than the white one did. I also dropped from 32K miles down to 20K, so that's nice.

IMG_1347.jpeg
IMG_1118.jpeg

Quick build thread on it:

• Morimoto LED headlights with DRL
  • Rigid Yellow LED Fogs
  • LED bulb/brake/etc bulbs everywhere (installed by me with resistors for turn signals to blink properly)
  • Nissan Motorsports (NISMO) 17's
  • 265/70R17 (31.6") General Grabber ATX
  • NISMO license plate frames
  • Power tailgate lock
  • Kenwood radio
  • Kenwood HD backup cam
  • Maestro RR to program all steering wheel controls and put an OBD gauge cluster on radio screen (I can read and erase codes from radio too - bye bye scanner)
  • All-weather floor liners
  • Bakflip MX4 tonneau
  • Under-hood LED strip activated automatically by hood with manual cutoff switch
  • KC Cyclone (flush mounted) in bed for bed lighting, tied to factory cargo lamp switch

Future Mods:
  • NISMO front steel bumper
  • Rigid 10" light bar for bumper
  • KC SAE driving lights for bumper
  • Possible winch for bumper
  • Shrockworks rear bumper
  • Flush mount Rigid LED backup lights in rear bumper
  • 4.56 Gears
  • Nissan Titan front differential swap
  • Detroit TrueTrac LSD in rear axle
That's about all I have to share about the truck here. It's a pretty sweet little truck, great to daily drive when not driving a Jeep! It's a lot of fun to drive with the 6sp manny tranny.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
OP
machoheadgames

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
I have decided I’m changing the name of my build thread from “Keep it Simple” to “No Compromises”. I originally called it keep it simple because the idea was “like stock, but improved”….while that is still how I operate, the Jeep just doesn’t feel that way. Keep it simple implies they it’s not too elaborate when in reality, I often do things in very elaborate, pain in the ass ways. It just doesn’t seem that simple anymore.

No compromises makes sense because this Jeep is exactly that, for my needs. My parents always have called me stubborn and I’d say they’re right for the most part. I don’t compromise on much. There is no part I won’t buy because it costs too much, and I usually won’t go with something I think is subpar simply because it’s cheaper or easier. In other words, I don’t really compromise if I can help it. As such, I am now deeming this Jeep the “no compromises” build, as I go further and further down the rabbit hole of trying to improve and modify it to my liking. :)