My 1995 YJ Rio Grande project

Hosstile17

Hi everyone!

I am David and this is my new project Jeep. I was a longtime JKU owner and life changed a couple years back and I decided to let it go for the time being. Well, life threw me some decent luck and I basically inherited this 1995 Rio Grande from my mother who recently decided to buy a Gladiator and was offended at what the dealer would give her for this poor old YJ.

It has the 4 cylinder motor and an automatic transmission. I just put a 4.5" rough country lift on it this week and a set of 18" JK Sahara pull off rims that I landed on Craigslist for cheap. This weekend I am going to install the CB, a new radio, and mount all my recovery gear because this thing is about to go to Red River Gorge for the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway ride that the SFWDA is throwing in early November.

I have tons of plans for lockers, bumpers, tire carrier, and more. But, I think it is time to get this guy in the woods.

Jeep stats:
1995 Rio Grande
2.5l 4 cylinder
3 speed auto
4.5" Rough Country Lift
30" tires
18" JK pull off rims with adapters
Everything else is bone stock at the moment

623965819.jpg

623965797.jpg

623965836.jpg

20201004_121315.jpg

Reactions: Chad and Chris
Looks like a great start for a project, and not too rough either. How is the frame?

I used to own a JK Rubicon as well, but I found I enjoy these older Jeeps more for whatever reason :LOL:

True story!

Reactions: Hosstile17
The frame is perfect. It is from the South and hasn't ever been wheeled.

Parts are showing up like crazy. Today I took a minute to install my new LED headlights. Super bright!

20201010_134737.jpg

20201010_134301.jpg

Today is another project day. I got my new cd player head unit installed in the Jeep. I am also now working on installing my CB radio and all the antenna mounting stuff. I have also mocked up where I will install my offroad lights on the factory bumper.

Me and my brother are going to Dirty Turtle Offroad Park next weekend to shake out our rigs and I need tunes and the ability to communicate.

Resized_20201011_151627.jpeg

20201011_151911.jpg

What all was involved with the 4.5 lift? I'm looking do do the same. Did you have to change gears? Extend brake lines? Slip yoke?..... sorry for all the questions but I'm a noob and looking for all the info I can. Mine is also a 95 Rio Grande with the 2.5

Thanks