Mounting windshield channel for bikini top

reidboy1

Supporting Member
Hey all,

Have the Family Roll cage on my ‘94 and am having trouble finding spice bikini top options that cover just the front seats. Hard top with full doors. Have ordered a ‘Pavement Ends by Bestop’ Sun Cap and the appropriate windshield channel to mount it. It all looks good out of the box. My concern is with having to drill ~10 holes into the top of the windshield frame to mount the channel. Seems I’m asking for trouble with water leaks going forward, should I be worried? The hardtop rubber mouldings appear good, figure I‘ll remove the channel when the roof goes back on for winter. Should I cover/plug the holes before putting the roof back on? Hoping others have experience with this, look forward to your thoughts before I start drilling.

Thanks

No way around drilling the holes really and yes it must come off to reinstall the hardtop. You could always use some thin closed cell weather strip to seal under the channel if its bugs you. Personally Is day the cowl seal is a bigger POS than any top seal. Its like a rain gutter that collects water and directs it under the frame and tub. Mopar, china, omix...their all the same.

Reactions: reidboy1
For what it's worth. My jeep came with a factory soft top and the corresponding holes drilled in the windshield frame. It is still solid and rust free.

Reactions: reidboy1
I don't know if it will work on the outside but I used Nutcerts - Rivet Nuts on the inside of the channel to hold the hard top down. They sit very flat on the frame and the screws should hold them tight without the worry about stripping out the sheet metal.. Might be overkill or maybe I'm just lucky to have them work. Just don't drill into the glass. I don't know where that front channel sits on the frame or if they can be used.

1685754046783.png