Metric vs SAE

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
Wiki: Standard sizes of square drives around the world include 1⁄4, 3⁄8, 1⁄2, 3⁄4, 1, 1 1⁄2, 2 1⁄2 and 3 1⁄2-inch square drive sizes (a de facto international standard with no metric equivalents

1tools.jpg

OP
Flyer58

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
SAE pisses me off more than anything. I wish we'd just adopt the damn metric system.
I just wish Jeep had made a decision back in 92 and stuck with it. My intake manifold has 8 fittings or bolts on it and it's an even mix of metric or sae. Probably depended on where the parts came from.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I just wish Jeep had made a decision back in 92 and stuck with it. My intake manifold has 8 fittings or bolts on it and it's an even mix of metric or sae. Probably depended on where the parts came from.

Yep, all my Jeeps (and I've owned a lot of them) have always been the same way. A mixture of metric and SAE bullshit, stupid torx bit fasteners, etc.

I'm sure you know how annoying it is having to switch from metric to SAE and then back again.

Reactions: Flyer58
OP
Flyer58

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
Yeah those Torx and even reverse Torx on the starter surprised me. Maybe a Canadian influence from the Robertson square head screws.

Here's an interesting article about how the Philips head screws took over in the auto industry.