Looking for suggestions to improve my 1989 YJ project

Styles_Cook1990

Im buying a 1989 Jeep Yj from a buddy of mine. Itll be my first jeep. I was just wanting some input on some good modifcations and all. I know my first one is gonna be getting Kc lights installed.

the options are endless. You can customize pretty much anything. LED lighting all over the place, bumpers, seats or seat covers, shift knobs, etc. The list goes on and on

First thing I would do is make sure it runs right. If it's a 4.2L, it will be carbureted so you want to make sure it runs well. You might look into some of the 4.2 improvements like fuel injection conversion, nutter bypass, distributor upgrade, etc. If it's a 4.2L manual, it might be a BA10 transmission which sucks if so. Might want to look into swapping that. That all only applies if it's a 4.2L though and the last one only if it's a 4.2 manual.

If it's a 2.5L, mainly just make sure it runs smoothly with no codes. If it's a 2.5 don't put giant tires on it unless you don't mind huge performance loss or don't mind paying a bunch of money to change axle gearing to make it drive decently again.

Being in florida hopefully you won't have rust issues to deal with.

Welcome to the Jeep world.

One of the best "big" mods you can do first is a winch.
I'm quoting someone on the forum, but I can't remember who.
"A winch will get you un-stuck, the other stuff (heavy mods like lifts lockers, etc.) will get you more stuck."
I just thought that was Great advice especially if your new and plan to go off-roading.
Lights are a great place to start.

Ham radio operators have a saying, if your tower didn’t come down in that last big storm it’s too low. If your 4 wheeling and you don’t get hung up you quit too soon. My vote is for the winch. And, if it’s a mall crawler, I vote for some Hooters stickers.

Ham radio operators have a saying, if your tower didn’t come down in that last big storm it’s too low. If your 4 wheeling and you don’t get hung up you quit too soon. My vote is for the winch. And, if it’s a mall crawler, I vote for some Hooters stickers.

Speaking of winches.... Never had one and will be getting....Which is best performance wise and easier to maintain and work with...
Steel cable or that pliable soft looking nylon braided rope?

Speaking of winches.... Never had one and will be getting....Which is best performance wise and easier to maintain and work with...
Steel cable or that pliable soft looking nylon braided rope?
I used to have a Warn XD8000 I bought for the '43 after sinking it to the tub in quicksand, it was locked & wearing Boggers.
It served me well what little i used it, mostly for others.
There's an old saying "you buy a winch for everyone else"
I've got a Champion on mine now, came with YJ.
Never heard of them, but it's been well used, judging by all the missing fairlead chrome & bird-nest on the spool.
Considered the steel v. nylon wire, but i have heard the nylon will rot in the sun.

Reactions: T-Rex Jeepster
What do yall recommend for a winch plate? I saw some on Quadratec. I just acquired a used Superwinch who had it on her JK, but I do not believe the plate I have will work for a YJ. I think it said RCX on it or something.

What do yall recommend for a winch plate? I saw some on Quadratec. I just acquired a used Superwinch who had it on her JK, but I do not believe the plate I have will work for a YJ. I think it said RCX on it or something.
I have the warn mount on mine. I don’t even have a winch on it but it fits well with both the stock bumper and the warn bumper.

I think the RCX is Rough Country but the 3 Ive bought over the years have been basically the same and they fit CJ,YJ and TJ's IIRC. They were like $70 or so and ya cant beat for the price. I cant imaging what China wants for them now.

Im buying a 1989 Jeep Yj from a buddy of mine. Itll be my first jeep. I was just wanting some input on some good modifcations and all. I know my first one is gonna be getting Kc lights installed.
It really depends how you plan to use it. I'm new to jeeps as well and bought an 87 with a 2.5 lift and 33's for tires, and 4:10 gears. I liked nothing about that setup because I really wanted it more as a fun daily driver, that I could drive anywhere. I put the stock wheels on it, swapped out the axles to 3:07 gears and really love this thing now. I drive it everywhere. I had the bad ba-10 trans that I did swap out to the ax15 too. I did replace the 2.5 inch lift with another 2.5 inch lift which I regret now. Stock would have been better. That was more of a timing thing though. The suspension was really bad when I got it, so I did that first. Then realized I didnt like the wheels or gears. These are money pits, but are some much fun to drive when you have all the parts right.

It really depends how you plan to use it. I'm new to jeeps as well and bought an 87 with a 2.5 lift and 33's for tires, and 4:10 gears. I liked nothing about that setup because I really wanted it more as a fun daily driver, that I could drive anywhere. I put the stock wheels on it, swapped out the axles to 3:07 gears and really love this thing now. I drive it everywhere. I had the bad ba-10 trans that I did swap out to the ax15 too. I did replace the 2.5 inch lift with another 2.5 inch lift which I regret now. Stock would have been better. That was more of a timing thing though. The suspension was really bad when I got it, so I did that first. Then realized I didnt like the wheels or gears. These are money pits, but are some much fun to drive when you have all the parts right.
I went to 3:07's on 31's myself and really enjoy the drive, Installed a RC 2.5 lift without realizing it had a 1" body lift on it also.......
The only down side to mine is going into curves a little to fast....Have to drive it like a big truck with a high center load, Fine on flat
ground, But watch those curves!! The combo of gearing to tire does leave a little to be desired in acceleration to higher speeds....
But the Eaton M-90 Supercharger is gonna help with that......Installation this coming spring.......

I went to 3:07's on 31's myself and really enjoy the drive, Installed a RC 2.5 lift without realizing it had a 1" body lift on it also.......
The only down side to mine is going into curves a little to fast....Have to drive it like a big truck with a high center load, Fine on flat
ground, But watch those curves!! The combo of gearing to tire does leave a little to be desired in acceleration to higher speeds....
But the Eaton M-90 Supercharger is gonna help with that......Installation this coming spring.......

My wheels are just 28's so the 3:07's isnt too bad. Plus I do have the 4.2. Not sure if you have the 4 cylinder or not but that supercharger sounds like it will take care of any power issues lol. My logic via rpm calculator was that with 28's and a 3:07, at 70 my rpm's should be 2000 which is right where this engine produces peak torque. That worked out perfectly in real life. Yup, it doesn't scream to 60 but gets there soon enough for me. I have the same RC lift....I'm thinking a couple more years before break in lol.

I made my own out of .25x10" mild steel, most mounts suck

Im not too sure just yet, right now im in the process of getting a new starter and sanding it down. Im kind of open to suggestions in general. Its not gonna be ran too hard. I do plan to take it in the woods fishing and all but i plan to have it as a all around vehicle.