Jeep Yj steering and suspension rebuild questions

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
What are some thoughts on the Rough Country Ball Joints? If bad what would you recommend?

Thank you, I ended up going to NAPA and supporting them. They have always treated me well.
I like NAPA but whatever you do, I’d avoid any knurled body ball joints. Pretty much all aftermarket ball joints seem to be knurled and they end up ruining the holes in the axle inner C’s. Hence the Spicer rec.

Reactions: T-Rex Jeepster
I like NAPA but whatever you do, I’d avoid any knurled body ball joints. Pretty much all aftermarket ball joints seem to be knurled and they end up ruining the holes in the axle inner C’s. Hence the Spicer rec.
OOF I'll definitely look at that. I also ordered my track bar through napa. Also while I've got you on here. Would you recommend the Moog tie rod ends? I'm doing them all. I've found all of them except the drag link to the tie rod. I've also done new Bilstein 4600 stock height shocks, and Omix ADA leaf springs. I think the omix springs might have been a mistake, but they have already shipped.

Thank you so much for your help.

OOF I'll definitely look at that. I also ordered my track bar through napa. Also while I've got you on here. Would you recommend the Moog tie rod ends? I'm doing them all. I've found all of them except the drag link to the tie rod. I've also done new Bilstein 4600 stock height shocks, and Omix ADA leaf springs. I think the omix springs might have been a mistake, but they have already shipped.

Thank you so much for your help.
Haha I think I might have just found it... the right inner correct?

Haha I think I might have just found it... the right inner correct?
Yeah, right inner would be the one you're looking for. I bought Moog tie rod ends for my YJ but have not installed yet. They seem beefy, time will tell on the parts quality. The Napa line of products seems pretty good for tie rod ends as well. Only reason I didn't go with them is at the time of purchase, some of their stuff was out of stock. So I went with Moog and at first glance, look good. Ball joints I stick to Spicer for sure.

For the Omix springs, the only thing I can say about them is I have no experience with them but they are not stock height. they sit about 1.5-2" despite advertising as stock height. That's not necessarily a problem though. The Bilsteins should be fine. I went with all Old Man Emu suspension products when I did mine the last time. By far the best riding YJ suspension I've ever seen and I've tried stock, RC, and BDS.

Reactions: T-Rex Jeepster
Su
Yeah, right inner would be the one you're looking for. I bought Moog tie rod ends for my YJ but have not installed yet. They seem beefy, time will tell on the parts quality. The Napa line of products seems pretty good for tie rod ends as well. Only reason I didn't go with them is at the time of purchase, some of their stuff was out of stock. So I went with Moog and at first glance, look good. Ball joints I stick to Spicer for sure.

For the Omix springs, the only thing I can say about them is I have no experience with them but they are not stock height. they sit about 1.5-2" despite advertising as stock height. That's not necessarily a problem though. The Bilsteins should be fine. I went with all Old Man Emu suspension products when I did mine the last time. By far the best riding YJ suspension I've ever seen and I've tried stock, RC, and BDS.

Sure enough, the ball joints were knurled, so I ended up going with the two of the Spicer kits 706944x. I also went with all new Moog steering parts. Thanks again for all the help and info! I'll definitely post a full P/N list and tips after installation for anyone else looking to fix up a 2.5 Jeep's steering and suspension.

Reactions: machoheadgames

Good to know...I looked at Old Man but didn't have any reference to compare to. Went with RC but not happy with the "Feel" of it.

Good to know...I looked at Old Man but didn't have any reference to compare to. Went with RC but not happy with the "Feel" of it.
I have all RC suspension, Probably going to switch the shocks out for Bilstein or Fox like I have on my other rigs, but For the money, the RC kits really aren't bad. The metal is metal, pair an RC lift with some higher-end shocks, and you'll be happy. It's a jeep, it's not going to ever ride like a Mercedes.

Reactions: doc-ketamine
I have all RC suspension, Probably going to switch the shocks out for Bilstein or Fox like I have on my other rigs, but For the money, the RC kits really aren't bad. The metal is metal, pair an RC lift with some higher-end shocks, and you'll be happy. It's a jeep, it's not going to ever ride like a Mercedes.
Have had OME and RC, there is a difference…..yeah it’s all metal, but different designs of the metal.

Reactions: doc-ketamine
Have had OME and RC, there is a difference…..yeah it’s all metal, but different designs of the metal.
I actually just finished everything last night! Except ball joints haha.
20230210_081856.jpg
You were right about the springs it lifted the jeep a bit. Wish I had a before and after. Death wobble is completely gone though!!!!!! Jeep rides much better. However a new problem has arrived. I'm getting a lot of driveline vibration over 45mph. The new rear leafs have one extra leaf than stock... do you think I could remove it and maybe lower the jeep a bit? Or what would be your recommendation? Thank you so much
20230210_081909.jpg

I actually just finished everything last night! Except ball joints haha.View attachment 120993 You were right about the springs it lifted the jeep a bit. Wish I had a before and after. Death wobble is completely gone though!!!!!! Jeep rides much better. However a new problem has arrived. I'm getting a lot of driveline vibration over 45mph. The new rear leafs have one extra leaf than stock... do you think I could remove it and maybe lower the jeep a bit? Or what would be your recommendation? Thank you so much View attachment 120992
Possibly, but if you don't do the same to the front you'll probably have some squat. Could try a transfer case drop and a small pinion shim on the leaf springs. I don't really like transfer case drops but that driveshaft angle is pretty steep.

You could try removing the lowest leaf on all 4 springs. I'm not sure that one is really providing a ton of lift though. Maybe, no way to know other than experimenting. I suppose it could make a bigger difference than it appears, as it overall stiffens up the pack which prevents the Jeep from settling as much. That alone may get you to drop down a tad (maybe half inch?).

Looks good otherwise.

I recently put MOOG ball joints, rod ends, and sway bay links on a Jeep Patriot and found there was a difference with some having a grease fitting while others didn't even though the picture showed them all to have it. I wrote MOOG Customer Service and their reply was the parts come from different factories and they're not always the same.

The MOOG parts were very heavy dut by looks and much beefier than the OEM parts I replaced.

Have had OME and RC, there is a difference…..yeah it’s all metal, but different designs of the metaYe
Yes, definitely different compositions of metal, which give different spring rates and durability. But if you're not wheeling heavy, the RC will do just fine, not great or perfect but it will do it just fine. The shocks make the bigger difference on a day to day basis in my opinion. I have experience with Mcgaughys, BDS, and RC lifts, and Fox, King, Rancho, Emu, BDS, RC, & Bilstein shocks. I still believe the shock makes a more feel-able difference.

Possibly, but if you don't do the same to the front you'll probably have some squat. Could try a transfer case drop and a small pinion shim on the leaf springs. I don't really like transfer case drops but that driveshaft angle is pretty steep.

You could try removing the lowest leaf on all 4 springs. I'm not sure that one is really providing a ton of lift though. Maybe, no way to know other than experimenting. I suppose it could make a bigger difference than it appears, as it overall stiffens up the pack which prevents the Jeep from settling as much. That alone may get you to drop down a tad (maybe half inch?).

Looks good otherwise.

Well after some research I guess I might do a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft... I really dont want to do a t case drop. I also wonder if the slipe yoke eliminator will be a bad idea if the leafs loose tension over time and drop down to "stock height". Also I wonder if I will be able to use the slip yoke eliminator if that happens? Will I have to pull it off? Thanks!! Here she is with new tires. Went from 215 to 235. I believe it helps the jeep a lot. Once I figure everything out I'm going to post all the P/N and places I bought the parts from. Might help someone...
20230211_152027.jpg

Reactions: ACKyj
Well after some research I guess I might do a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft... I really dont want to do a t case drop. I also wonder if the slipe yoke eliminator will be a bad idea if the leafs loose tension over time and drop down to "stock height". Also I wonder if I will be able to use the slip yoke eliminator if that happens? Will I have to pull it off? Thanks!! Here she is with new tires. Went from 215 to 235. I believe it helps the jeep a lot. Once I figure everything out I'm going to post all the P/N and places I bought the parts from. Might help someone...
View attachment 120995
you’re sitting probably 1.75”-2” higher than stock. They aren’t going to drop down to stock height. Even if they did, you can make adjustments for that later. Your driveline is pretty steep, based on that the SYE will work well and it will need some pinion shims to work properly.

View attachment 120995
I am on 33" tires and a 4" lift and do not have SYE. Everything works and flexes as it should. I have a custom trans support, which helps the driveline angle some, but not much, less than an inch of change. I do not have extended motor mounts either. I wouldn't worry too much about a SYE. Soft top looks great by the way, I have the same one, mine is old and tired, but I only use It for storage so its okay.