Jeep YJ seat bolts

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
I mentioned in another thread about finally getting my seats out. The seat bracket which mounts to the floor has two flat head bolts which are welded to seat frame probably to assist with the factory installation.

My problem is the threads just beyond where the nut screws on are badly rusted but fortunately they look ok right where the nut is.

Has anyone tried removing those bolts to replace them and if so how did you do it?

Thanks

1 pre 2.jpg

I just bought a 93 YJ and may get a Corbeau seat slider bracket because it's about 2" lower and I need that room! I pulled the seats out today and saw what you're dealing with. If it were me (I may have to do this too) I would cut them off with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder Just level with the seat bracket. You could try cutting the bottom paret off first, but I think you'll have to cut through the head to get it all out. Keep us posted!

Reactions: Flyer58
Mine were rusted in which I soaked in on blaster. Hit with a sledge didn’t come loose noticed the welds and used a torch to heat them up broke the welds by hitting again with sledge and they came out. I then bought new bolts and put rubber grommets above and below for shits and giggles. Reinstalled seat and no issues since. My only note is when heating up be careful when you tap given your heating up the bracket also so take it easy when tapping. I used a punch to break the welds. Keep us up to date if you get them free

Reactions: Flyer58
I ended up chasing the threads and while the ends were all rusted the threads where there's a nut is looked good.

I installed the seats and will try something when I remove them to coat the floor.

Thanks!