Issue after installing my new-to-me front and rear differentials

Johken

Supporting Member
I just installed the new-to-me front and rear diffs but the rear diff may be a problem, It has about a little under a 1/4 turn of play left to right and about a 1/8 to a 1/4 in and out (lateral ?)
I am a little skeptical about taking it out on the road however it did seem to do ok in the driveway without getting out of first I just went forward about 40 feet and then backed up turned around and parked it. I have not hooked up the front drive shaft yet just in case something locks up so I don't tear it all apart again. Any input will be well received.

In and out is not normal, rotation is normal, up to a point. If there is in and out play, you have worn bearings. I wouldn't drive it because you could end up grenading the carrier or eating up the gears if you drive on it with it like that.

I would disassemble the diff, replace the pinion bearings with a new crush sleeve (tightened to proper preload spec), and then replace the carrier bearings as well. Shouldn't be too bad of a job but you will need a press if you opt to do the carrier bearings, or will need to be good with a heavy hammer and large socket.

Change the pinion seal too.

OK, so an update I have gotten the rear diff fixed. I watched a ton of videos and borrowed the shop today and all seems well, not sure if my drive shaft angle is too much though.
PXL_20230516_223312622.jpg
PXL_20230516_223309592.jpg

I drop the transfer case lower to do that or Shims between the axle and the leaf springs?
Shims between axle and spring. Need an angle finder to determine the exact difference currently, otherwise how much shim you need will be a guessing game.

Shims between axle and spring. Need an angle finder to determine the exact difference currently, otherwise how much shim you need will be a guessing game.
I definitely do not want to guess I want to do it right. I will look for an angle finder online and get one coming, then revisit here.

I definitely do not want to guess I want to do it right. I will look for an angle finder online and get one coming, then revisit here.
Think I got mine from Home Depot for like $10. Definitely a great tool to have.

If you calculate your angle difference to be 10°, you need slightly less than half that for correction. In order words, if you measure 10° difference, you don’t need 10°, you need more like 4°. The shim changes the angle by roughly double (due to lifting the pinion and driveshaft simultaneously which does double duty on the angle correction), and you want the pinion to be slightly low, hence why I said if your difference was 10, you’d want 4 (and not 5). It’s not a super exact science but you’ll have to be close.

I grabbed an angle finder and here is what I was able to come up with. So In theory I need a 7-degree shim correct?View attachment 121338
Probably more like 6 to maintain a 2 or so degree difference between the angles when it’s all done. You need a bit of a down angle so that axle wrap under torque makes it straight. 2-3 degrees is a good place to be. I would start with a 6° shim. I don’t think 7° is available anyways.

Shims finally showed up , got them installed today! Wow It is driving so smooth, very happy. Thank you for the input guys. It is now exactly 2 degree difference. My picture sucks concrete was hot AF

PXL_20230606_224332048.jpg

Reactions: machoheadgames