I'm considering buying a YJ; help me prioritize

TRevs

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all! New member here, but I've been on the sister TJ site for a few years now with an '06 LJ.

For various reasons, I'm considering getting a YJ as well. (My wife is considering killing me, but I don't expect you to help with that.)

My goal is a fairly low-cost YJ that I can rehabilitate to my tastes. It would be an on-road, city-bound complement to my commuter car. I'd keep stock tires/height or maybe a minimal lift. i don't care if it's a 4 cyl or 6. Obviously I want to avoid rust and major drivetrain issues, but minor mechanical issues don't bother me.

I'm expecting poor quality paint and planning a respray of the body to a color of my choosing. I also really like the tan/spice interior.

My main question is how affordable is it to obtain interior parts in the tan colors. If I find a good specimen with a gray interior, can I reasonably expect to source tan dash, bezels, carpet, console, steering wheel, door panels at earth-bound prices? Or if tan interior is my main goal, should I hold out until I find that?

Thanks!

I usually see the bezels for good prices on facebook marketplace. I think they are about $20 a piece at deadjeep or on ebay. You can also buy them from Crown, but I don't think the colors match that well with the original interior colors.

The vinyl dash if found in mint condition is going to be around $250 to $300. Do not buy the Key Parts one, it does not include the back half of the dash.

I have seen steering wheel prices all over the place. I think normally they are $150+ and it is dependent on the condition.

The door panels are really hard to find in nice condition. I think Crown makes them for the half doors, but don't look exact like the original. The full door panels are really hard to find too, I remember seeing a seller on ebay recreating them himself, but again they are not exact to the original.

If you end up finding a gray interior YJ, I can help you out with the bezels. I have a tan interior and was going to paint my bezels, but if you wanted we could probably easily mail those off to one another.

I would offer to swap out my dash and console, but my dash is nasty and cracked, and my console is pretty much the same condition. My steering wheel is already gray.

I usually see the bezels for good prices on facebook marketplace. I think they are about $20 a piece at deadjeep or on ebay. You can also buy them from Crown, but I don't think the colors match that well with the original interior colors.

The vinyl dash if found in mint condition is going to be around $250 to $300. Do not buy the Key Parts one, it does not include the back half of the dash.

I have seen steering wheel prices all over the place. I think normally they are $150+ and it is dependent on the condition.

The door panels are really hard to find in nice condition. I think Crown makes them for the half doors, but don't look exact like the original. The full door panels are really hard to find too, I remember seeing a seller on ebay recreating them himself, but again they are not exact to the original.

If you end up finding a gray interior YJ, I can help you out with the bezels. I have a tan interior and was going to paint my bezels, but if you wanted we could probably easily mail those off to one another.

I would offer to swap out my dash and console, but my dash is nasty and cracked, and my console is pretty much the same condition. My steering wheel is already gray.
Thanks for all the info!

I’m pretty set on half doors, and if I find a good jeep without doors I might go with cloth lowers. But I definitely won’t be interested in full doors.

I’m not in a rush, especially with prices as high as they are. I’ll keep scouring the ads and look for a good deal.

I’m also wondering how people deal with repairs when so many parts are discontinued and salvage parts are 30 years old. Are parts from other vehicles made to fit?

Hi all! New member here, but I've been on the sister TJ site for a few years now with an '06 LJ.

For various reasons, I'm considering getting a YJ as well. (My wife is considering killing me, but I don't expect you to help with that.)

My goal is a fairly low-cost YJ that I can rehabilitate to my tastes. It would be an on-road, city-bound complement to my commuter car. I'd keep stock tires/height or maybe a minimal lift. i don't care if it's a 4 cyl or 6. Obviously I want to avoid rust and major drivetrain issues, but minor mechanical issues don't bother me.

I'm expecting poor quality paint and planning a respray of the body to a color of my choosing. I also really like the tan/spice interior.

My main question is how affordable is it to obtain interior parts in the tan colors. If I find a good specimen with a gray interior, can I reasonably expect to source tan dash, bezels, carpet, console, steering wheel, door panels at earth-bound prices? Or if tan interior is my main goal, should I hold out until I find that?

Thanks!
Save you a lot of trouble.....buy mine I just listed