How to wire LED pods for turn signals

cjruff41

Supporting Member
Hi I have a questions in regards to the wiring of so flush mount LED pods I bought for my turn signals. when I removed the stock light I saw there are four wires and the pod lights only have two. can some give me some advice as to how to wire them up..

Stock light should only have 3 wires. Post some pics of your existing light and the new light. A link to the product you bought might be good too. If the new pod is just an amber light, it will be pretty easy by splicing on a few diodes and a tiny resistor per side. You essentially end up merging the 3 wires into 2 that way and it will operate the 2 wire light like a 3 wire light.

Stock light should only have 3 wires. Post some pics of your existing light and the new light. A link to the product you bought might be good too. If the new pod is just an amber light, it will be pretty easy by splicing on a few diodes and a tiny resistor per side. You essentially end up merging the 3 wires into 2 that way and it will operate the 2 wire light like a 3 wire light.
How do I know what diodes and resistors to get? And where do I get them?

Buy a 1 watt resistor kit from amazon. You will install it on the parking lamp wire for each lamp. the kit will have a bunch of different ohm values so you can figure out what you like best. You want it to dim the light enough for it to still be visible at night, but dim enough that the turn signal is noticeably brighter. Once you choose the resistor, splice it onto the parking lamp wire. Splice on a diode onto the turn signal wire and another onto the parking lamp resistor. Some cheap 3 amp diodes from Waytek or Delcity should be fine. The diodes will keep the turn signal from feeding the parking lamp, and the parking lamp from feeding the turn signals/hazards.

You'll then merge the two wires together after the diodes and splice them to the power wire of the light. Then just hook the ground to the ground. Turn on the lights, it should light up dimly, and then turn on the turn signal and it should flash from dim to bright to dim to bright, etc.

resistors

Diodes

Total you will need 4 diodes and 2 resistors. The resistor kit will come with a ton of them, you will just need to test each ohm rating for the brightness you like, and then of course use two of the one you like, one for each lamp.

No problem at all.

Here is a write up on doing the same thing to the side markers. It is essentially the same exact thing you're doing, which is why I'm sharing it. Might help to have a visual. It's really quite simple, just do a good job crimping or soldering your connections and protect them with plenty of heat shrink.

I did this to my side markers and it works perfectly.

3 to 2 wire Light Conversion

Here is a photo of the old way it was wired. Which wires get what?

image.jpg

The double wire is the parking lamp, the second wire is just a jumper that goes back into the harness and runs over to the right side light. Right side light should only have 3 wires.

You would need to:

-hook the new light’s ground to the black
-splice the two parking light wires in the Jeep together and then put a resistor and diode after the splice. Then put a diode on the turn signal wire. Then splice those two together and splice them to the second wire on the new light.

Ok riddle me this. I spliced the two wires together and put a diode those are my blinker the other wire “runninglight” I put a diode with a resistor. Then combined with the blinker then connected to red wire on light and connected the two ground. The blinker will work if I touch my test light to the power side but if I turn on the running lights it won’t blink and only two of the led lights up!?!? Please help

You got it backwards. The two wires are running light and need the diode and resistor. The other single wire (not ground) is your turn signal and only needs the diode. It will not work right like that because your light is at full brightness in running lamp mode with lights on. Which means since the resistor is on the turn signal the turn signal is the dim one and won’t make any difference when turn signal is on. So put the diode/resistor onto the two wires and put the diode on the turn signal.

I’m not trying to argue but the two wires make my tester flash and the single is a solid light on my tester?

Hmm that’s not making any sense. So the two wires that were originally doubled together are proving to be the blinker when you test them with the test light with turn signal on? And the middle blue looking wire is staying solid?