Horn question

GOIRISH

So I’m the proud new owner of a sweet 1990 YJ 4.2 V6. Just got it this week and I have to pass inspection in NYS. Horn wasn’t working. Looked under hood and saw it was unplugged. Plugged in and horn went off constant. So I pulled horn off and there’s no spring. That seems like an easy purchase. But I found this wire coiled up and the end piece is broken off. What am I looking at here and what do I need to do to get it working. It appears as though I’m missing the pin and little spring also that gets pushed down to activate the horn. When I ground that wire to metal the horn goes. So I’m thinking I just need the pin and spring and also the big spring for the face plate right?

E1B66C19-0C40-452C-AED8-68298970E674.jpeg

6F163831-8AB7-4F7A-A0D3-625D152B2D34.jpeg

E7FE6CA9-282F-4425-B5D6-2CBCACBFC414.jpeg

The horn has a relay and the steering wheel button grounds the relay. For whatever reason your steering wheel button was constantly grounding out the wire, causing the relay to trip and the horn to honk. It's pretty simple to get it working right but I forget how it goes off the top of my head and will need to dig up the parts assembly diagram for the steering column.

Thanks. Yeah I gotta figure out what parts I need. Seems like a simple fix. I just got it so I don’t have an owners manual or the service manual yet.

A momentary contact switch mounted anywhere inside the drivers area would get it working well enough to pass inspection.

Well I passed inspection over the summer w an aftermarket horn button. But still trying to figure out what this black wire is supposed to hook to. I know I’m missing the plastic cancelling cam pin and spring. But what and where would this black wire connect and does anyone have the exploded diagram (having trouble finding it
1667490490836.jpeg

Pull off the steering wheel. With the wheel off, mine exposes a spring loaded white pin (plastic) that is lodged into a spring. When you press the horn button, the metal flex plate behind the button connects the pin to the center of the steering column which is a ground source. It’s hard to explain but bottom line is your looks a bit different than mine. Your wheel and all looks the same but I don’t have a loose wire that that piece on the end like you do. I’m not sure if that wire on yours is factory and they just changed it over the years, or if yours used to be like mine and a P.O. maybe changed it.

Mine is missing the plastic piece and spring. I’m thinking the wire is somehow connected to the bottom of the plastic piece bc it def blows the horn when I touch it to the surrounding metal. Weird. Right now I have it taped w electric tape bc it would drain the battery even though I disconnected the battery

Mine is missing the plastic piece and spring. I’m thinking the wire is somehow connected to the bottom of the plastic piece bc it def blows the horn when I touch it to the surrounding metal. Weird. Right now I have it taped w electric tape bc it would drain the battery even though I disconnected the battery
Well I never “fixed” the issue at the steering wheel. Someday I will do it right. For now I pulled the wire at the horn (which was the little black wire you see). That way it doesn’t make the horn blow all the time when it touches metal. My guess is that was pulled through by the PO when the cam pin broke off bc obviously it was soldered to that in some way. I put a ten dollar switch and ran it off the old cig lighter and sent a wire through firewall to horn. Good for now. Wish I understood electronics