Horn question

GOIRISH

So I’m the proud new owner of a sweet 1990 YJ 4.2 V6. Just got it this week and I have to pass inspection in NYS. Horn wasn’t working. Looked under hood and saw it was unplugged. Plugged in and horn went off constant. So I pulled horn off and there’s no spring. That seems like an easy purchase. But I found this wire coiled up and the end piece is broken off. What am I looking at here and what do I need to do to get it working. It appears as though I’m missing the pin and little spring also that gets pushed down to activate the horn. When I ground that wire to metal the horn goes. So I’m thinking I just need the pin and spring and also the big spring for the face plate right?

E1B66C19-0C40-452C-AED8-68298970E674.jpeg

6F163831-8AB7-4F7A-A0D3-625D152B2D34.jpeg

E7FE6CA9-282F-4425-B5D6-2CBCACBFC414.jpeg

machoheadgames

Certified YJ Researcher
Supporting Member
The horn has a relay and the steering wheel button grounds the relay. For whatever reason your steering wheel button was constantly grounding out the wire, causing the relay to trip and the horn to honk. It's pretty simple to get it working right but I forget how it goes off the top of my head and will need to dig up the parts assembly diagram for the steering column.

OP
G

GOIRISH

Thanks. Yeah I gotta figure out what parts I need. Seems like a simple fix. I just got it so I don’t have an owners manual or the service manual yet.

ytradio

YJ Enthusiast
A momentary contact switch mounted anywhere inside the drivers area would get it working well enough to pass inspection.