Help

Heatray40

I have a 87 jeep wrangler 4.2 and I had the motor rebuilt had it for about 3 years now sits in my garage all winter .the problem I'm having is some time when yoh start it up it runs awesome and there's time I start it up and it runs like crap. And I replaced everything under the hood .can some one give me an idea of what is wrong thanks

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I would start by checking the fuel pressure, pumps can be intermittent, though they usually just die.
Intermittent stuff is is a bitch.
After sitting, is it initially slow to start? That's an indication the pump is on it's way out, or at least a part of it.
It could be as simple as a filter, but i'm going to bet you've already done that.

OP
H

Heatray40

I would start by checking the fuel pressure, pumps can be intermittent, though they usually just die.
After sitting, is it initially slow to start? That's an indication the pump is on it's way out, or at least a part of it.
It could be as simple as a filter, but i'm going to bet you've already done that.
We just installed a fuel injection kit with all new lines .pump filter and still does it

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
Hmm...I guessing no codes either?
Maybe time to inspect all the connectors on the engine harness.
Had a similar Gremlin, turned out to be a stressed/broken supply wire to the 2 pin coil plug.

Gilaguy23

Idles poorly or just cuts out and sputters and the like at all engine rpms? Loss of a cylinder or 2 or ?? Rough idle and stalling could be a hung up open EGR valve.

jeepjoe43

YJ Enthusiast
If you are suspecting cylinders then maybe a compression test is in order.
I still suspect electrical from my own experiences.
Been a long time mechanic, but I confess I'm not a YJ expert and I can only give you my experiences.
Look for simple solutions first.