Hard top in summer

ytradio

YJ Enthusiast
I have a hard top for my 89. The Jeep is in a none running state to put it mildly. But it came with the hard top full doors half doors, and lots of extra parts. I really would like to run the hard top and full doors year around. My question, how hot is it in the summer with the hard top on? It looks to me like there would be little to no air flow through the Jeep as no opening windows behind the front seats. The rear hatch has no frame, the hinges and all hardware is mounted through the glass, so it looks like driving with the rear hatch up would be a real bad idea. So just how hot is it in a Wrangler with hard top in the summer?

I would like to have the full doors on for rain and and other reasons, but I see what you mean. One Idea I have is replacing the side windows in the top with opening RV, boat windows. I have had some custom made for a boat, and they were affordable and worked well. I just wanted to pick the brain of actual hard top Jeep owners to see if this would in fact be hot as the gates of hell without some kind of air flow.

I ran around this summer with the hardtop on and half door and it was ok. The floor over the exhaust got pretty hot and I had hot air from a broken heater control and still need to screw down the rubber boot around the shifter. This was near Houston at 100deg F.

I ran around this summer with the hardtop on and half door and it was ok. The floor over the exhaust got pretty hot and I had hot air from a broken heater control and still need to screw down the rubber boot around the shifter. This was near Houston at 100deg F.
Ok, well I guess I will give it a try as is and see how it goes. I can always go topless for awhile if I do decide to get the sliding windows.

How hot i s a personal thing I suppose. A black softop is not cool inside fully sealed either. I run my softop with no doors,the side curtains off and teh rear window up to keep the dust and fumes out. I can carry the doors and side curtains in back if Its predicted to dump rain. When Monsoon season comes to AZ and NM it do rain!! Dont so much care about getting wet, its the dash and electrics i worry about.

How hot i s a personal thing I suppose. A black softop is not cool inside fully sealed either. I run my softop with no doors,the side curtains off and teh rear window up to keep the dust and fumes out. I can carry the doors and side curtains in back if Its predicted to dump rain. When Monsoon season comes to AZ and NM it do rain!! Dont so much care about getting wet, its the dash and electrics i worry about.
Those are my main concerns also. I’ll give the hardtop a try as is and go from there.