Got lucky today

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
I've had this YJ for a little over a year of which the majority of time it was in many pieces while rebuilding it. I've been looking for any type top on a weekly basis since it didn't come with anything.

Well I came across this true YJ hard top last night and overall it's in very good condition with good glass and no cracks. Just needs a rubber seal around the base and trim around the side window.

$300 and he threw in a chrome front grill cover and old original spare tire

I don't know about other parts of the country but around here they easily go for double or more that price.

2.jpg

Well I placed the top on my YJ and as expected it fits very well with one exception. There's no rubber gasket between the base rail and tub so the top is sitting a fraction of an inch lower and the passenger half-door hits the fiberglass. Lifting the the top one millimeter allows the door to freely open and close. Adding the new gasket will cure this.

I do have a question about how the YJ hard top attaches to the front windshield frame. This Jeep was purchased new with a soft top, I still have the original window sticker, and there's no telling what the pervious owners have done. The person I bought it from had a CJ top but it had been removed and sold before I bought it.

The window frame has two clasps in the corners while the top has six screw holes but missing the hooks for the clasps. The window frame only has one hole drilled in the center which aligns with the top's hole.

I'm thinking the clasps are left over from the CJ or maybe soft top? It looks like the proper way to secure will be to drill pilot holes and get short self tapping screws and washers.

Any input? The rear base will be easy since all the holes are aligned and in place.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I've had this YJ for a little over a year of which the majority of time it was in many pieces while rebuilding it. I've been looking for any type top on a weekly basis since it didn't come with anything.

Well I came across this true YJ hard top last night and overall it's in very good condition with good glass and no cracks. Just needs a rubber seal around the base and trim around the side window.

$300 and he threw in a chrome front grill cover and old original spare tire

I don't know about other parts of the country but around here they easily go for double or more that price.

View attachment 116368
Nice find.

Reactions: Flyer58
The top and grille fit well. I have both sitting in place and haven't attached them yet. I need to take the top off again to see how the rubber seals look and what needs to be replaced.

Opinion poll: Do I keep the stainless grille cover on or does it look better in black?

10a.jpg

Reactions: Jakebrake
The top and grille fit well. I have both sitting in place and haven't attached them yet. I need to take the top off again to see how the rubber seals look and what needs to be replaced.

Opinion poll: Do I keep the stainless grille cover on or does it look better in black?

View attachment 116373
Lose the grill insert, it looks much better without it. Cleaner look for sure, I’m a big fan.

Two for no. I've run this by several friends who collect and restore older American cars and they ask say keep it. I told them the old saying "Chrome won't get you home" and they laughed.

I don't think it's terrible but I do lean towards the black grille.

Last edited:
Smokin find on the top!! I dont think those flip down latches are factory anything. Just screws across the front lip to keep the top down. Oh yeah, I vote scrap the chrome.