Fuel Pump Opinions

SirDoopYJ

YJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Alright! Fuel pump is next! I should have a 20gal. I know this because I ran out of gas while turning into the gas station. The Jeep rolled to a dead stop at the pump. IIRC I filled it close to 25gal.

The one's on Napa and Autozone do not look right from what I have seen on JeepSolid's video. Here is the one that was reference from the video:

A Abigail Fuel Pump 5003861AA SP736H:

Dang haus, if it aint for bad luck as they say. IIRC macho told me if the tank is plastic its a 20 gallon and the metal ones are 15's. Seems like there is plenty of options pump wise especially if you want to replace the pump only. Rockauto has something like 18 different types. From Delphi to Denso which id think would be good quality.

Dang haus, if it aint for bad luck as they say. IIRC macho told me if the tank is plastic its a 20 gallon and the metal ones are 15's. Seems like there is plenty of options pump wise especially if you want to replace the pump only. Rockauto has something like 18 different types. From Delphi to Denso which id think would be good quality.
So I should be fine just changing the pump and not the entire floater asssembly?

Im sure Macho, Joe and others will step in here pretty soon. I recall both have done this several times unfortunately. Personally yes, Id do the pump only as long as the sender and sock look OK.

I went a few round about my plastic 15 gallon tank and lost each conversation.

From everything I gather the plastic 15 gallon tank is the same as the 20 gallon tank BUT inside is a vent tube which is longer on the 15 G tank and cuts the gas stations fuel pump off much sooner. I took my tank out to fix the sending unit problem due to it hitting a plastic slosh box that had warped.

The pump looks the same as mine on a 92 2.5L former 15 gallon, now 20 gallon tank.

My pump has the rectangular plate on top while some have the round plate. I can't recall when the change was made but they're not interchangeable.

Last edited:
Only two tanks were ever used in the YJ, a 14.5 metal tank, and a 20 gallon plastic. 14.5 metal was only used 87-90 and then phased out. They did not ever limit the 20 gallon to 15 in 87-90, that was the purpose of selling the smaller metal tank. Whatever tank you had then, was your capacity. Everything 91-95 is plastic, Most of the 91-95 were limited to 15 gallons so that Chrysler could sell the 20 gallon mod at an upcharge. If you opted for the "larger gas tank", a technician would go pull the vent tube and they say they would change the sending unit to the 20 gallon model as well. However, both factory 20 gallon owners and the 15ers who upgrade their tank to the 20 capacity say it sits on full for a long time, and in my case it does as well. Not sure what the difference between fuel sending units would be if they both sit on full for a long time when the tank is 20 gallon capacity. You would think the 20 gallon unit would adjust the gauge to go down evenly rather than sitting on full for 5-6 gallons, I thought that's the whole point of the sending unit swap. Who knows.

For what it's worth, when I pulled my tank, my sending unit did have a "15 gallon" sticker on it's wiring loom. Never got pictures of an OEM 20 gallon to see if it had a sticker or not. I know the Mopar sites show different part numbers.

As for the pumps, there were two styles. I've always been told that one style was for export, and one for domestic. The smaller one for domestic. I was also told that when US sales went up, they started using the Jeeps built for export to the US market, so some US folks ended up with the bigger fuel pump. I really can't confirm that though. Seems like the odd, hard to find large fuel pump usually comes in the earlier years and the smaller pumps are pretty much the only thing you'll find in the later years. My 94 had the smaller pump, so I got a Bosch 69544 replacement.

You probably don't need to change the floater assembly. If you have any inaccuracies in your gauge, it's usually due to the fuel bowl in the tank being warped, not from an actual issue with the sending unit. I only changed my sending unit because I really didn't feel like messing around with changing the pump in my stock unit. Was just easier to buy new. My MTS unit came with a pump in it so I actually didn't use the Bosch Pump I received. so I kept the Bosch as a spare, am running the MTS, and have the factory unit & pump bagged up and stored "just in case". It was working perfectly fine so I certainly am not going to throw it away.

Not really sure what to do with my old tank, it has a warped fuel bowl but is otherwise in good shape. I went with a brand new MTS tank to go with everything else in that project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer58
The abigail model looks very similar to the stock stuff I pulled out. My stock pump was gold if I remember right, but same shape. The bigger oddball pump is weird looking. I can take some pics of my stuff when I get home tonight.

For what it's worth, when I pulled my tank, my sending unit did have a "15 gallon" sticker on it's wiring loom. Never got pictures of an OEM 20 gallon to see if it had a sticker or not. I know the Mopar sites show different part numbers.
I didn't see a label on mine but it should have been the 15 gallon sending unit for the same size tank. Now that I've shortened the vent tube I'll drive about 75 miles before the gauge moves off Full. As long as E means Empty and is accurate I'm happy.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I didn't see a label on mine but it should have been the 15 gallon sending unit for the same size tank. Now that I've shortened the vent tube I'll drive about 75 miles before the gauge moves off Full. As long as E means Empty and is accurate I'm happy.
Yeah, sticker could have fallen off or maybe in earlier years they didn't do the sticker. No telling really. I know mine was 100% stock in the tank department so I at least have a baseline of what normal is, as far as the 94 model year goes anyways.

And I agree, really how long it stays on full is irrelevant and doesn't matter. If anything, it gives you extra feelgoods staying "full" that long. It's all about E and E never changes with any of this. Just makes my curious mind wonder why they had two fuel sending units for different capacities if they both work the same on either capacity. Gotta love Jeep and their weird design decisions.

To make myself more clear, the oddball pump had threaded wiring connectors, not a plug, and it was physically larger in shape and used a different sending unit. There is lots of talk about this on the other forums. Really no way to know what you have until you drop the tank. For a 93 I would expect most likely you have the small normal pump that MTS, Bosch, etc all make common replacements for.

My fuel gauge showed just a bit under half tank when I removed it. I estimate that to be 7.5-8 gallons. I found it easily manageable with a floor jack. It would be more ideal if it was empty but I didn't find it near bad enough that I needed to try and suck anything out of there.

I rather not siphon it out if I don't have to. This answers my question. I will try to drop it this evening after to work so I can at least see what I need to order. Looks like I may have to unscrew some of the hose clamps in order to twist them around as I drop the tank. In the JeepSolid video, it looked like he had a difficult time dropping it straight down.

It's not going to drop straight down. The exhaust needs to be disconnected from it's tailpipe hanger, then the tailpipe hanger needs to be removed from frame. After that, you can move the tank far enough to the right that the hose necks will clear the frame and then the left side of the tank comes down. Then slide the tank left as the left side comes down and the right side will clear the dangling exhaust pipe and such.

The filler hoses need to come off the neck completely before the tank goes down at all. Trying to keep them connected and drop the tank will be a huge pain.

Does the fuel pump work at all? You can disconnect the fuel line at the filter or up at the engine and then run a jumper across the fuel pump relay to pump it out.

1.jpeg

Had to turn key on. Jumped the connection. I heard it prime, and I heard something squirt. I hope it was the fuel rail filling up.

I dont smell fuel thought. I didnt unplug anything fuel wise, even with the test

Didn’t you have an issue with one of the fuel pump relay terminals popping out of the relay box? Did you make sure that isn’t the case here?