Finally got it home

zebraranger

Some might remember about a month ago that I posted about trading my Can Am three wheeler for this 93 YJ with the 5 speed manual transmission and 4.0 motor. He was in one state and I in another. After a few online and phone conversations, and exchanging detailed photos. We decided to meet halfway and trailer the vehicles on the 20th of this month. I've owned a lot of vehicles during my life, but never a Wrangler. Always loved the square headlights on the YJ's.

Well I'm pretty pumped, after a longer than expected 13 hour round trip, my brother and I finally got it home Sunday. After a couple of hours of both parties unloading vehicles off & on the trailers, giving them the detailed once overs, Q&A session, then test drives and rides, and title paperwork, it ended up being a long day. Left at 7 am and after dropping my brother off at his home, I made it home at about 8pm. Everything on the Jeep was in working order. All gauges functioned properly, interior & exterior LED lights, emergency brake, 4 WD H & L, and heater, no AC.

After giving it the once over and then climbing underneath and checking it out, the tub and frame was rust free. But, underneath the rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield frame, there was some rust. It looks like he tried to cover or seal it with a bead of silicone, the rust in that area is minimal, and I still wanted the Jeep. Transmission, CV joints, TC, axles and pinion all looked good and it ran nice, tight, and straight down the road at 85 mph. It wasn't sluggish, but its definitely decades apart from my V8 4WD GMC Sierra as far as technology and long haul comfort. The Interior was in nice condition and clean, with some pretty nice seats. He had the soft cover on it along with the doors and two sets of windows. owners manual, Haynes Service manual, sun shade top and a few other accessories.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had a kick-a** Bluetooth stereo system with an overhead sound bar and a small compact subwoofer in the back behind the rear seat. Another nice surprise was that it had a nice large padded steel gun safe as a center console/arm rest with a hooked up and functioning CB radio inside it. It had a separate area for a handgun which is nice since I have my CWP. In the state of Florida you have to set an appointment to do the title transfer, plates & registration, that's going to be this Friday. But I have taken it out and about a couple of times on brief runs since getting it home, I just couldn't resist. I took a few pics to show.
5288-2080p.jpg

5257-2080p.jpg

5304-2080p.jpg

5284-2080p.jpg

5311-2080p.jpg

271734522-4647458675308675-8613737191089810081-n.jpg

combine-images4.jpg

combine-images5.jpg

combine-images6.jpg

Clean lookin jeep,looks like a good score. Of course there would be a few personal touch changes if it was mine ;) far as the windshield bit, fold it down and you'll see why the rubber weather strip,frame and tub is a problem waiting to happen in that area.

Reactions: zebraranger
Clean lookin jeep, looks like a good score. Of course there would be a few personal touch changes if it was mine ;) far as the windshield bit, fold it down and you'll see why the rubber weather strip, frame and tub is a problem waiting to happen in that area.
Yeah, I was already aware of the windshield issues and the rubber gasket that acts like a gutter holding water on the older Wranglers. There was a 4 week period between making the deal and then making the drive to go and get it and see it for the first time in person. So I spent that time reading up on all the info that I could find on the YJ's. Got some good info here reading through some of the older threads here too.

I found a couple of aftermarket windshield frames and a couple as kits that include the seals and rubber gasket, depending on how much I want to spend. Its not the first priority though. After sitting in the garage for the last three days, the battery was weak and it almost didnt start. So I started checking things out. Alternator was good and putting out 14.3 volts.

I found that the positive terminal clamp was cracked and very loose. I replaced them both and issue solved. After a couple hour charge, and taking it to get the title transfer, plates and registration done, it was all charged back up. So today was the first day that I could legally drive it around. Next I'll be removing the soft top and putting on the Bikini top, its already in the upper 80's here.

Congrats - sounds like it was as expected - hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.
Thanks, until I actually got there to see it in person, I was just going off of photo's that he sent me and posted on FB. Honestly being almost 30 years old, it was in better condition than what I was expecting. Even the paint still looks good for its age.

Thanks, after a few weeks of owning it, I've been enjoying it a lot. It definitely looks better and its a lot more fun with the soft enclosure off.
5333-2080p.jpg

Reactions: SirDoopYJ