Feeding a dead (Chevy) horse

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
That is how I'll refer to our 2000 Silverado Z71. Bought it a couple years ago with 175K, currently has 190K on it. To date its been new U joints, new transmission, the infamous oil pump pick up tube O ring failure, diesel sounding piston slap and bled down lifter clatter on cold start up after sitting a few days, and now the heater core and the 3 HVAC motors that notoriously crap out on GM trucks. It pains me to look at it anymore let alone wrench on it to fix whatever craps out next. A real gem. I wouldn't sell this thing in good conscience to somebody :poop:. Would you feed it some more or be done with it? what say you all.

Flyer58

YJ Enthusiast
I'd ditch it. Back in 2000 all trucks were about the same. I also had a 200 5.3L with the annoying piston slap that started right after I bought it. Dealer and Chevy said it not a problem and it did last to 150k. Then I flushed both the radiator and oil with flush stuff and the slap got really loud. I pulled out all the push rods and lifters and found them plugged with gunk even though I did regular oil changes with synthetic oil. The push rods are hollow and blocked with crud. It helped quiet the motor down a little but that slap stayed when cold.

The only other problem was the brake controller caused the rear brakes to lock up when cold. That was a $700 fix.