Everything Steering Rebuild

Thrasher4219

Supporting Member
Hello everyone, my old stock 1992 Yj is having some problems with the steering. The death wobble has started. Everything seems very tight... I put it up on jacks and there doesnt seem to be any play anywhere. I'm really confused on what could be causing the wobble. I'm at the point of just rebuild the entire thing. I'm really curious if anyone has any recommendations on good high quality brands of parts I could get to rebuild the steering? I definitely want to keep it stock hight with no lifts, or large tires. I will be keeping the jeep for the rest of my life as it was my first real vehicle past a beater.

It could be everything has a very small amount of play from the steering box to all the ball joints and when they all add up it can cause the death wobble.

There's a small nut and hex screw on the top on the steering box. Loosen the nut and turn the hex screw a small amount, 1/4 turn at most to take out some slack. Turning it too much can cause huge problems. See if that helps.

If not then, yeah replace all the joints and possibly bearings. 30 years takes it's toll.

It could be everything has a very small amount of play from the steering box to all the ball joints and when they all add up it can cause the death wobble.

There's a small nut and hex screw on the top on the steering box. Loosen the nut and turn the hex screw a small amount, 1/4 turn at most to take out some slack. Turning it too much can cause huge problems. See if that helps.

If not then, yeah replace all the joints and possibly bearings. 30 years takes it's toll.
Thank you!! I'll be posting a little more about it soon. I love this thing and plan on fixing her up good!

Reactions: Flyer58
The steering on my 92 Wrangler doesn't feel right. It almost feels as though the power steering isn't working, but i just replced the punpit . When I turn the wheel it is hard to turn, there is a vibration that i can feel on the pedals.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.