Engine rebuild first timer

Riddler

Hi folks
So this is my first time to rebuild my 1990 yj 4 .2 I am not sure what who to get the parts from also I don’t really want a monster build I do go off-road just not like rock climbing or anything like that lol, I am not sure what brand of parts is good
I don’t suppose anybody could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it
Thanks

My personal opinion is stay away from Amazon or ebay kits. There is so much bootlegged subpar crap parts on either site and they have coped to the fact its a problem. Parts from Mfg' s like Melling, Clevite, Sealed Power, TRW, federal Mogul to name a few are as good as it gets these days.

A good place to go is Summit Racing, they carry the brands Gilaguy mentioned. Although I am biased as they are just up the road a piece from me.

o_O Oh man...id be broke in short order if one was close to me. Same reason I stay out of places like Cabelas or Bass Pro shop. A kid in a candy shop :)
I’m also a Ham Radio operator, and the Akron Summit Racing also harbors a company called DX Engineering. So I usually drop a bundle going to this place. Heck man if they would add a bar with some strippers, I’d have no reason to go anywhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: jeepjoe43
You may need a local machine shop do some work boring or honing the block and regrinding the crankshaft journals. I had my shop buy the engine master rebuild kit which included all bearings, pistons, valves, gaskets and a camshaft. They did all the machine work and I did the assembly. It cost just under $1000 for them to buy the Sealed Power kit and do the work on my 2.5L engine (4-cyl)

This worked out for the best because they needed certain parts to get the clearances right and they got the kit at a good price too.