Engine install in my 89 YJ

Tree top flyer

Supporting Member
I am having a helluva time re-installing my 4.2L engine to my AX 15 transmission. I have changed every angle on both the engine and transmission, and can't get the splines to line up, The transmission is in neutral, and I double checked the pilot bearing to make sure it fit. Since it doesn't feel like the splines are lining up , can I use longer bolts to draw them together, figuring the splines will mesh?? Thanks

I have used the bolts to start everything going together on vehicles before. If the alinement is not perfect, it is hard to get it to just slide together. I always tightened it with a 3/8 ratchet and took it easy not trying to force anything too hard. I would keep moving the drive shaft back and forth a little as I tightened to aid in the alinement. The trans will have to be in gear. If it gets to the point it no longer turns, it is probably meshed and going in and should tighten up the rest of the way without much resistance on the bolts.

I make my own dowels by buying bolts and cutting the heads off. Makes installing trans to engine a 1 man job. I struggled and made no progress without them.

Reactions: ytradio